Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ride the 30x handlebars from sqlabs? I swear by their saddles and am contemplating trying out their bars. I often times feels like the outside of my palms are over stretched and like to hang a pinky off my bars while sitting and spinning. Thinking the backsweep on these would solve my issue.

currently riding a Oneup carbon bar with 35mm rise. Not sure if I should drop to the 30mm rise or go up to the 45mm rise if I try them out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got the SQlab 30X carbon bar 16 degree sweep with 30mm rise on one of my bikes and the OneUp carbon 35mm rise on my other bike so I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have. Unfortunately I don't understand the problem that you're describing (palms overstretched and pinky hanging off) and why you think more backsweep would help. If you could add to your description, I'll try to help. A couple of comments regarding the SQlab bars - (1) they're great for alleviating hand and finger numbness as the increased sweep put your wrists (or at least my wrists) in a more neutral position and (2) the SQlab 30mm rise bar is equivalent to 20mm rise in most other bars, so I'd recommend the 45mm rise if you're looking for something closer to 35mm. I'll eventually replace my OneUp bar with an SQlab bar as the OneUps don't do anything for my hand and finger numbness.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the SQlab 30X carbon bar 16 degree sweep with 30mm rise on one of my bikes and the OneUp carbon 35mm rise on my other bike so I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have. Unfortunately I don't understand the problem that you're describing (palms overstretched and pinky hanging off) and why you think more backsweep would help. If you could add to your description, I'll try to help. A couple of comments regarding the SQlab bars - (1) they're great for alleviating hand and finger numbness as the increased sweep put your wrists (or at least my wrists) in a more neutral position and (2) the SQlab 30mm rise bar is equivalent to 20mm rise in most other bars, so I'd recommend the 45mm rise if you're looking for something closer to 35mm. I'll eventually replace my OneUp bar with an SQlab bar as the OneUps don't do anything for my hand and finger numbness.
I guess what I'm trying to describe would be there isn't enough backsweep to the bars. Like my wrists feel too angled inward when I try to get the outside of the palm onto the grip with causes wrist pain and my pinky often goes numb. My thinking was the additional backsweep would bring the ends of the bars closer to my body alleviating my wrist angle issue.

do you have their carbon bars or the aluminum?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got their carbon bar and it absolutely helped me with the numbness. I'd also recommend their 711 MTB Tech and Trail 2.0 grip as well. Between their bars and grips I've eliminated 90 - 95% of the numbness that I used to feel. The increased sweep will also bring the grips closer to you by about 10mm which may or may not be an issue for you. I ended up putting a longer stem on my bike to compensate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I replaced some 9° backsweep 30mm riser bars with SQ Lab 12° backsweep 45mm carbon and am very happy with them.
I have a stiff wrist from a fracture decades ago and the back sweep of the SQ lab bars is much more comfortable.
With the 12° back sweep, I did not need to get a longer stem to feel like I was maintaining a good riding position.
I was curious about the 16° back sweep but had read in a few places that one would often need to go with a longer stem to compensate.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was curious about the 16° back sweep but had read in a few places that one would often need to go with a longer stem to compensate.
There are a number of bars that go forward before sweeping back, so you don't need a longer stem. @TwoTone mentioned the Protaper 20/20. I have the Salsa Bends, which are 17 degrees and also come in 23 degrees. When I was researching higher sweep bars, I also came up with Ritchey Kyote (aluminum), Regular Cycles (carbon), Passchier Gump (in bamboo), Mcfk (carbon, only 12 deg though).

On the other hand, stems are cheap. A longer stem to put the grips of the SQLab bar in the same position as a forwards-then-backwards sweep bar that ends up with the grips in the same place relative to the steerer has the same end result in terms of fit/ride/handling, etc.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
There are a number of bars that go forward before sweeping back, so you don't need a longer stem. @TwoTone mentioned the Protaper 20/20. I have the Salsa Bends, which are 17 degrees and also come in 23 degrees. When I was researching higher sweep bars, I also came up with Ritchey Kyote (aluminum), Regular Cycles (carbon), Passchier Gump (in bamboo), Mcfk (carbon, only 12 deg though).

On the other hand, stems are cheap. A longer stem to put the grips of the SQLab bar in the same position as a forwards-then-backwards sweep bar that ends up with the grips in the same place relative to the steerer has the same end result in terms of fit/ride/handling, etc.
I just mentioned it because in posts about the SQ bars, no one seems to mention changing the stem.

·
Registered
Occam, Sentinel, Arcade
383 Posts
@jimmytang sounds like you prefer the SQLab to the OneUp. are you able to comment on how vertical compliance of each compares? I moved from a RaceFace bar to the OneUp and it was a huge improvement, that RF was way too stiff for me! now I'm looking into more back-sweep for the wrist-angle benefit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It sounds like we have similar handlebar preferences. On one of my bikes I went from a RaceFace Next R carbon bar (35mm dia. and 35mm rise) to the carbon SQlab (31.6mm dia, 16 degree backsweep, and 30mm rise). The SQlab bar is way stiffer than the RaceFace (yes, you heard that right) but I've come to realize that the increased backsweep plays a much greater role in reducing wrist, hand, and finger numbness and pain than does compliance. I don't even notice the stiffness anymore.

On my other bike I went from the carbon RaceFace Next SL bars (31.6mm dia. and 20 degree rise) to the carbon OneUp bars (35mm dia. and 35 degree rise). The OneUp bars are definitely more compliant but that compliance only translates to a small reduction in the pain and numbness. I've reached the conclusion that increased backsweep has a much greater effect on reducing hand and wrist issues than does compliance. Even though I just purchased the OneUp bars four months ago, I'll be replacing them with SQlab bars in the not-too-distant future. I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing OneUp. They're a well-made, compliant handlebar but in my case the increased compliance didn't solve my issues.

If you decide to go with the SQlab bars, I'd recommend the 16 degree backsweep; don't bother with the 12 degree. Also the SQlab 30mm rise bar is comparable to a 20mm rise in the RaceFace bar so you might consider the 45mm rise if you want a bar that ends up at 30 - 35mm rise. The 16 degree backsweep will put your grips a little closer to your body so you might need to go with a shorter stem.

Hopefully this helps out. If not, hit me up again.

·
Registered
Occam, Sentinel, Arcade
383 Posts
Hopefully this helps out. If not, hit me up again.
Really helpful, thanks! The comment about going straight to 16 degree is interesting since SQLab calls out 12 for AM / DH “upright” riding and 16 for XC “stretched out” riding. Have you tried both, or can you just tell based on the feel of the 16?

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Really helpful, thanks! The comment about going straight to 16 degree is interesting since SQLab calls out 12 for AM / DH “upright” riding and 16 for XC “stretched out” riding. Have you tried both, or can you just tell based on the feel of the 16?
I ride 20 degree bars and jump and been to a park with them, no issues.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the 45mm rise 12deg bar, bought it because I liked sq saddles. So I've been using salsa bars for quite a few years, they have an 11deg back sweep, more than most. I tried a renthal high rise because I needed the rise, very popular and sharp looking bar, but more like 6-7deg. I never had so much hand pain, sq bar fixed it, I'd say it's even more comfortable than the salsa bars. If they weren't so expensive I'd like to try a 16.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The RaceFace bars have an 8 degree backsweep so going with the 12 degree SQlab bars would've only been an additional 4 degrees which in my case isn't enough. I probably need around 20 degrees to put my wrists in a truly neutral position but I didn't like the looks of any of the bars that I found with that much backsweep (they swept forward too much before sweeping back) so I settled on the 16 degree SQlab. No regrets. If you think that 12 degrees is enough for you then go for it. We're all built differently so what works for me may not be best for you. As far as being stretched out or upright you can adjust your position with higher/lower rise or narrower/wider bars as well as stem length.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
The RaceFace bars have an 8 degree backsweep so going with the 12 degree SQlab bars would've only been an additional 4 degrees which in my case isn't enough. I probably need around 20 degrees to put my wrists in a truly neutral position but I didn't like the looks of any of the bars that I found with that much backsweep (they swept forward too much before sweeping back) so I settled on the 16 degree SQlab. No regrets. If you think that 12 degrees is enough for you then go for it. We're all built differently so what works for me may not be best for you. As far as being stretched out or upright you can adjust your position with higher/lower rise or narrower/wider bars as well as stem length.
The entire point of sweeping forward is so you don't have to change the stem. If they didn't with 20 degrees backsweep you'd have to get a longer stem to have your grips in the same place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.