Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Someone on here did it a little while back and it seems its worked just fine for him so far...could be wrong. I don't remember what the result was.

·
Registered
217 Posts
why? your just throwing money away. the spv shock is a good bit pricier, and the tpc one is the model below. soooo, why spend extra cash to redo the internals, when you could probably sell your fork (unless its beat), and get a brand new fork with the tpc for the same or less difference you were planning to spend on the kit. rebuilding forks isnt the cheapest thing around. oil, seals, the new dampening, gonna run around 100 to 150 (my guess). just get the TPC version, or just get the stance one with TPC.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Yea, you can fit SPV shocks with TPC. It's gona feel way plusher. SPV is all jittery and loses small bump sensitivity. If you're lucky, Manitou will send you the SPV Evolve dampener for free, which feels slightly better, just not buttery smooth like TPC.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Ohio_Huck said:
why? your just throwing money away. the spv shock is a good bit pricier, and the tpc one is the model below. soooo, why spend extra cash to redo the internals, when you could probably sell your fork (unless its beat), and get a brand new fork with the tpc for the same or less difference you were planning to spend on the kit. rebuilding forks isnt the cheapest thing around. oil, seals, the new dampening, gonna run around 100 to 150 (my guess). just get the TPC version, or just get the stance one with TPC.
The kit's supposedly only 50-75, which is about what the SPV Evolve kit is. I dunno about you but most forks cost a bit more than that...even with rebuild costs...

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Someone on here did it a little while back and it seems its worked just fine for him so far...could be wrong. I don't remember what the result was.
MBfanatic did it, something like his second practice run at Sea Otter it exploded. He had to get his fork rebuilt by manitou with spv evolve(again) while he was there.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
konabiker said:
MBfanatic did it, something like his second practice run at Sea Otter it exploded. He had to get his fork rebuilt by manitou with spv evolve(again) while he was there.
Really!!! I didn't know that. I guess I probably won't be getting the TPC for my slider+ then. :p

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I ask is because I see sliders for sale cheap used on ebay. Everyone says spv is good for climbing and hucking but not as good for downhill. I do more downhill than anything real big. I don't want to but the stance kingpin because the reviews are horrible for dependability.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
own154 said:
The reason I ask is because I see sliders for sale cheap used on ebay. Everyone says spv is good for climbing and hucking but not as good for downhill. I do more downhill than anything real big. I don't want to but the stance kingpin because the reviews are horrible for dependability.
I think its just how you have it setup. I have a slider+ (04) and while with the SPV valve cranked in all the way it sucks on slow bump stuff with it wound out most of the way it feels pretty good on small bump stuff and jumps pretty well.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I think its just how you have it setup. I have a slider+ (04) and while with the SPV valve cranked in all the way it sucks on slow bump stuff with it wound out most of the way it feels pretty good on small bump stuff and jumps pretty well.
yup.

for the amount of time spent ordering and waiting for the TPC kit, you can dial in the SPV quite easily.

I complained about my SPV initially too. then I spent more time playing with the chamber size and the PSI. it's now very plush throughout the travel, but still resists unneccessary movement in the top 2" of travel.

it's more time-consuming than other forks, but when you get it right, it really is good.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
gonzostrike said:
yup.

for the amount of time spent ordering and waiting for the TPC kit, you can dial in the SPV quite easily.

I complained about my SPV initially too. then I spent more time playing with the chamber size and the PSI. it's now very plush throughout the travel, but still resists unneccessary movement in the top 2" of travel.

it's more time-consuming than other forks, but when you get it right, it really is good.
Agreed. Its got its flaws but isn't that bad once its setup fairly well.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Yeah, just took it for another ride today, feels soooooo nice. SPV can kiss my hairy ass, i'm over that marketing gimick. Even for cross country I'd rather have tpc with lockout, although the new pop-spv on the R7 sounds promising.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
Yeah, just took it for another ride today, feels soooooo nice. SPV can kiss my hairy ass, i'm over that marketing gimick. Even for cross country I'd rather have tpc with lockout, although the new pop-spv on the R7 sounds promising.
So it didn't blow up or anything? :p

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
Crap, I just finished loading my bike for another shuttle run and noticed a leak so I ran...

If I had just taken SMT's advice and bought a marzocchi instead i wouldn't be needing a new truck :rolleyes:
Lol..

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Took it for yet another ride today, stil hasn't asploded. I really don't understand the problems people would be having with the tpc damper, its a fairly simple system and ive never had anything but complete reliability from the sherman lineup and from many mantiou forks with tpc dampers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.