Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spv valve on my Manitou Swinger looses about 70 psi each time I remove the pump after adding air. This does not happen on the shocks other valve or on my other shock so I don't think it can be the shock pump. When I put the shock in water I don't see any bubbles and it does not appear to be leaking. I like the shock and would like to keep it. Any ideas?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
catskillclimber said:
The spv valve on my Manitou Swinger looses about 70 psi each time I remove the pump after adding air. This does not happen on the shocks other valve or on my other shock so I don't think it can be the shock pump. When I put the shock in water I don't see any bubbles and it does not appear to be leaking. I like the shock and would like to keep it. Any ideas?
How do you know it's loosing 70 psi? Do you pump it up, remove the pump then reinstall the pump and get a 70 psi lower reading? If you do, get a Topeak Pocket Shock Pump. You're probably losing the 70 psi because the SPV bladder has to "inflate" the pump when you install it the second time.

So to be quick about it, it's not the shock.

Monte

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Monte. You're right. I'm inflating it and then removing the pump. It looses the 70 psi when I reattach the pump so it sounds like what you are saying makes sense. I've never owned an SPV shock before. So I'm actually loosing the pressure when I reattach the pump not when I'm removing it?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
In my experience, I have found the SPV chamber will lose tons of pressure upon a subsequent reconnection because it's such small volume. Losing some air will make a huge difference, as in reconnection and filling of the hose and guage. It was worrisome at first, and something extremely worrisome with the DHX's boost chamber, but just practice and it won't be a problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a relief. I appreciate it. This is my first experience with a SPV shock. The only other shock I've ever owned was a Rockshox Bar with no adjustments or anything so I have a lot to learn about suspension. So I'll set it at the pressure I need and leave it alone.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
catskillclimber said:
Thanks Monte. You're right. I'm inflating it and then removing the pump. It looses the 70 psi when I reattach the pump so it sounds like what you are saying makes sense. I've never owned an SPV shock before. So I'm actually loosing the pressure when I reattach the pump not when I'm removing it?
What pump do you have? If you are good with the pump you shouldn't lose any removing it. But when you reinstall it the shock has to fill the pump hose and guage. It's a small bladder so it'll lose a lot of pressure doing so.

Monte

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using a Rockshox pump. It does not loose pressure when removing and reattaching to the shocks main air valve or to the air valve on my other shock, just the spv valve.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
catskillclimber said:
I'm using a Rockshox pump. It does not loose pressure when removing and reattaching to the shocks main air valve or to the air valve on my other shock, just the spv valve.
Not all schrader valves are created equal.

Monte

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is a schrader valve a fairly easy part to get and replace?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've recently noticed the same problem with my swinger. the loss of so much pressure from the spv chamber is new for me. I've had the shock for two years and it was serviced about 8mths ago. I'm glad to know that the issue is probably related the schrader valve and not shock internals

For an initial test I pumped up the spv chamber and rode around in the driveway with the shock pump still attached. no change (or minimal) on the pumps' gauge but when I remove the pump and re-install, 0 psi. Probably not as conclusinve as the submersion test but it lead me to assume i'm not on the trail with 0psi in the SPV
-maurice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.