Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an SPV Lefty. It sounds like the damper is clunking when it changes direction from compression to rebound. I can take the spring out of the fork and grab the top of the SPV damper rod. What I do is push the damper rod down slowly (compression stroke) then pull up quickly, clunk.

I can make it do it riding, just lean forward and put a lot of weight on the bars to compress the fork, pull up and push down quickly just enough to stroke the fork a couple inches, but not enough to top the fork out. Everytime I pull up on the bars the damper clunks. I heard the noise riding first, then took the spring out and stroked the damper by itself to check, I'm certain it's the damper making the noise when it goes from compression to rebound.

I have the damper assembly out of the fork, I can't see anything outwardly wrong with it. Nothing moving that I can see. Is there something internal that would do it? Or something else alltogher?

I started hearing the noise at the end of a 3 day road trip that I did 15,000' vertical in 80 miles of riding. The last day the noise was steady all day. I did the ride anyway.

Monte
cross posted in Cannondale, worded differently, same problem

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I have an SPV Manitou fork and the pressure seems to do it. I run an X Firm spring, and I think that makes it worse. So I am treading a thin line between a fork that is clunking and too much pressure (harsh ride).

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I greased the SPV cylinder with Pedro's Syn grease. It's working now with 40 psi like before. Just have to see how long the grease holds up.

Monte

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.