Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not the weather. Summer has more than made it's presence known. It was well over 100 degrees around here, last week.

I had a coil shock laying around off of my dearly departed RFX. So, my curiosity got the best of me and I bolted it up on the purple beastie, for yesterday's wednesday stoke ride.

Attachments

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
The lev ratio on the RFX is much higher than the Sultan, probably not gonna feel right with the same spring

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SlowerThenSnot said:
so hows it ride????
Braaaaaaaaaaaap!

I thought it was going to feel a bit oversprung.

But, I've got to say it felt pretty damn tasty!

Attachments

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
Aquaholic said:
Braaaaaaaaaaaap!

Coils are a crutch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Aquaholic said:
Braaaaaaaaaaaap!

Hey Aqua this is CF what's up? Bro I gotta say these might be your best photo's to date..Well done.....CF.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Wow Aqua - agree some nice shots. Looks like the auxiliary chamber on that shock might be getting awfully close to the downtube at Max compression... Didja measure it before you installed and launched? Nice altitude on that last pic!

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ATBScott said:
Looks like the auxiliary chamber on that shock might be getting awfully close to the downtube at Max compression... Didja measure it before you installed and launched? Nice altitude on that last pic!
I took the spring off and mashed on the rear end. This coil DHX has the same I2I and stroke as the RP-23.

It was close, but it looked like it would just have enough clearance.

Just in case, as insurance, I taped a piece of jet ski padding to the DT. Look closely in the pics...you can see it.

I don't think a regular DHX coil's boost valve adjustment knob would clear. But, the Pushed MX tune does away with that volume adjustment..affording some extra living space. This is also an XL size frame.

So, with the Sultan's leverage ratio being far lower than my trusty old RFX...I figured that it would be oversprung.

But, that wasn't the case, surprisingly.

I found that I was having to up the psi in the Pushed RP-23, so much(over 200), that the low speed compliancy was getting a bit weird. And, I was still clanking the rear end with that shock, to boot.

This coil felt pretty damn nice! I didn't touch the low or high speed compression screws at all. I may play with that on my next outing.

As it stands now, the rear end feels better than the front.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a couple more pics from yesterday's ride.

Brian Ohhh, on the little wheeler.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I bet your boyfriend Fo is butthurt you took pics of riding his forehead again and posted them up here.

How does it pedal uphill, with no propedal to save your bacon? Every coiler I've ever ridden preferred to be walked versus pedaled up hill, but being a Turner and a Sultan and all... ya just never know how magical the DW link is on that.

Maybe you are giving Dave Turner a cattle prod to make a 29'er RFX test mule for you to thrash?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts