Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would try out a new thread idea. I'm hoping people will want to participate. No one can argue that we ride on trails through some of the most gorgeous countryside and lush wooded areas where we see such incredible natural beauty. I especially love this time of year when so many beautful and delicate wildflowers are blooming all over, often only for a very short time before the heat of summer sets in.

So here's my challenge; let's see how many different types of wildflowers, blossoms, pretty weeds, plants, and fungi we can identify this year. Post a pic (your own or a googled one) of what you have found!

In our recent travels, my wife and I identified the following:

Apple Blossom

Attachments

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bloodroot

Attachments

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coltsfoot

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
This should of been posted on Treehugger forums or something or maybe on BTA ,it has nothing to do with mountain biking. Just kidding ,nice pics some of these flowers like bloodroot are toxic but they do make a good war paint.

·
sproket buster
43 Posts
I like this idea.
Nice pics. Next next weekend I should gather some by myself.

Yes, I'm a man and I like flowers :) especially in the spring.

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fizol said:
Yes, I'm a man and I like flowers :) especially in the spring.
God love ya fizol! I too am a man who like flowers especially in spring! :thumbsup:
I'm in touch with my feminine side. My wife thinks that's HOT!! :devil:

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wolfchild said:
This should of been posted on Treehugger forums or something or maybe on BTA ,it has nothing to do with mountain biking. Just kidding ,nice pics some of these flowers like bloodroot are toxic but they do make a good war paint.
It has everything to do with mountainbiking Wolfchild! :nono:

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
singlesprocket said:
nice pics, can't wait till mushrooms are out...
I hear ya! I just wish I were a mycologist so I could actually trust myself to pick the edible ones! :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
No camera at the time, Sorry. And the pictures are already up.
I certainly enjoyed the silent cheers of white Trilliums and a patch of some not yet blooming DogTooth Violets while I was riding some of the trail at Coulson's Sat. morning

Stosh

I will bring a Camera next time.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
anarawd said:
Dogtooth Violet
Hmm - I know that flower as a trout lily. I did a little research (yay google), and they are closely related.

Also we've seen piles of Marsh marigolds

Hepatica have also started blooming

The bloodroots are mostly done by us, but the trilliums and trout lilies are just out. There's a gorgeous white bloomed tree that's out, but I'm not sure what it is (not apple).

I have a hard time paying attention to the trail sometimes, because there are so many pretty flowers to observe!

·
Kidding myself...
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nerdgirl said:
Hmm - I know that flower as a trout lily. I did a little research (yay google), and they are closely related.

Also we've seen piles of Marsh marigolds

Hepatica have also started blooming

The bloodroots are mostly done by us, but the trilliums and trout lilies are just out. There's a gorgeous white bloomed tree that's out, but I'm not sure what it is (not apple).

I have a hard time paying attention to the trail sometimes, because there are so many pretty flowers to observe!
Interesting Nerdgirl, I have always known them as dogtooth violets. They certainly look more like a lily. Our trilliums have just started too, and the blood root are everywhere as are the Carolina spring beauties. The marsh marigolds should be out soon. I wll keep my eyes peeled for hepatica.

It is good to stop and observe the wildflowers n'est-ce pas?. It's my excuse for being so slow on the trail this early in the season! It has nothing to do with being out of shape! :D

1 - 20 of 101 Posts