Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Canuck
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new to Oregon and signed up for the XC race this weekend. Looking for some beta on the area - how long it takes to drive there (travelling from Bend), where a good quiet place to camp is (avoid the partying downhillers who are racing Sunday :). I was thinking leaving here at noon Friday, getting there by 3? , pre ride the course, then grab a campsite or sleep in the van somewhere. Anyone else going ?

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
DirtSnake said:
Hi - I'm new to Oregon and signed up for the XC race this weekend. Looking for some beta on the area - how long it takes to drive there (travelling from Bend), where a good quiet place to camp is (avoid the partying downhillers who are racing Sunday :). I was thinking leaving here at noon Friday, getting there by 3? , pre ride the course, then grab a campsite or sleep in the van somewhere. Anyone else going ?
Do you live in Bend? Keep checking here for group ride updates. It looks as if one is forming for this Thursday.

I'll be going to the xc race at Mt. Hood instead. I heard that the course is much more interesting, plus it's half the distance to Ashland.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Nat said:
I'll be going to the xc race at Mt. Hood instead. I heard that the course is much more interesting, plus it's half the distance to Ashland.
That is my plan, too. Need to figure out why my car is overheating first. May be the water pump. :(

·
Canuck
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, in Bend

Nat said:
Do you live in Bend? Keep checking here for group ride updates. It looks as if one is forming for this Thursday.
I've been noticing all the group ride stuff - sounds like fun - but unfortunately I have a 9-5 type job :( I'll probably get out for a ride around 4:30 today - Phil's area...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, the XC is Saterday and DH is Sunday. The DH course is not all that much more techinacly difficult then the beginner XC course, I ride it on my rigid SS all the time.

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
i decided im just going to race downhill since it is expensive to stay the night in a hotel and i just got my new dh bike built up a evil doc with a manitou stance flow. kinda freeride but it can handle a downhill race

·
Registered
511 Posts
Spring Thaw was awesome, thanks to all the folks who put it on!

I got 8th on my SS in the beginner class...first race ever. I think I could have done better but I've been fighting a cold all week and haven't been training enough.

Mark Weir showed up to race pro, he was way ahead but got a flat...and still came in 4th.

All top 3 pro riders were on their single speeds.
SS represent!

Thanks for coming to Ashland, hope you liked our trails!
~bone

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
Lambone said:
Spring Thaw was awesome, thanks to all the folks who put it on!

I got 8th on my SS in the beginner class...first race ever. I think I could have done better but I've been fighting a cold all week and haven't been training enough.

Mark Weir showed up to race pro, he was way ahead but got a flat...and still came in 4th.

All top 3 pro riders were on their single speeds.
SS represent!

Thanks for coming to Ashland, hope you liked our trails!
~bone
Well done! Bear Springs was fun too. I got 6/12 in Sport mens 35-44, and as far as I could tell I was the only one on a SS in that group.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spiring thaw was awesome. I too would like to thank everyone that put it on. My friend and I went down there from Corvallis and took first and second in beginner 19-29 mens. It was my first downhill race and was an excelent experience. We will deffinately be back to Ashland to ride some of the other trails, we didn't have much time to ride anything else.

·
Canuck
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was that a mountain bike race ? :)

Not what I was expecting - never seen so little single track in a race. Still, it was a blast - gotta love that 3000 ft of climbing at the start ! I think my 30lb dually was a bit overkill, but managed to squeak into 4th place in my Sport class. I learned a lot about roady pace-lines in the middle flat section ! Judging by the terrain and bikes I saw around town, I bet there's a ton of technical riding around Ashland. I understand the course is a 'classic', so they'll probably leave it as is, but sure would be nice to throw some more stuff at us, to separate the men from the boys, mice from the rats - whatever.
I ended up staying at Emigrant Lake - not free - but relatively quiet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, problem is Ashland and the Deforest Service won't let us build any new trails in the watershed.

So for the long loop we are limited to the road. The other prolbem is that there aren't alot of loop trails in town that they could run a laps race on.

ORBA or SOMBA should organize a race around Applegate Lake for 18 miles of single track fun.

The climb out of the park is a lung buster for sure!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
biker053 said:
i decided im just going to race downhill since it is expensive to stay the night in a hotel and i just got my new dh bike built up a evil doc with a manitou stance flow. kinda freeride but it can handle a downhill race
Still more bike than you need for the Thaw DH. Usually some of the fastest times are on hardtails. It is a singletrack trail course and very fun. Not the "typical" ski area type DH course.

Last year some of the riders where complaining about how hard it was to get their big bikes around the switchbacks.

Last year I placed 3rd in Sport 35+ on this bike

hardtail singlespeed if you can not tell.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Nat said:
Well done! Bear Springs was fun too. I got 6/12 in Sport mens 35-44, and as far as I could tell I was the only one on a SS in that group.
Dang! I missed the Bear Springs race :( (and my Bend trip/meeting).

I thought my car was doing OK. Left at 5am for the race. Less than 20 miles later the car was overheating again! Pulled over to let it cool down and slept for an hour then drove home.

Took it in the the shop this morning and the mechanic found nothing wrong. So i when for a 90 min drive. No problem. Not sure if I should be happy or concerned.

I HOPE to be in Bend this weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thaw was my first dh race. it was a learning experience. i learned chain guides are good and pads are also good hahaha. i threw two chains on my evil doc in the race run and rolled down the mountain(25ft or so) backwards on a straight in between two switchbacks spraining my ankle in the process and now i have a tennis ball for a ankle. i was the guy with a hayes disc brake sweatshirt camo pants and a black evil doc with red flames on the down tube. i also had a white xc helmet which gave me great confidence. thanks to everyone who put it on it was a blast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.