Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is hard to say, as riding style, terrain ect play into it. I have a Rc4 on my v3 V10 and run 550 lb sping on it. I weigh 190 ish with gear. From what I remember reading the RC4 needs about 50 lbs less then the DHX shocks due to the larger oil chamber and shaft.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is hard to say, as riding style, terrain ect play into it. I have a Rc4 on my v3 V10 and run 550 lb sping on it. I weigh 190 ish with gear. From what I remember reading the RC4 needs about 50 lbs less then the DHX shocks due to the larger oil chamber and shaft.
Yeah, based on sag, I'd guess that the DHX is in the 600lb range, but wanted to ask. Bike park riding (Northstar, Whistler), gaps, tables, drops, etc..., you name it. But no Crabapple Hits. :)

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, tried a 600, still too much sag. The Fox guy says I need at least 650, may go up to 700. Anyone else running that stiff a spring on a V10?

Btw, oil chamber shouldn't effect sag. It will be the same spring on the bike whether it's a DHX or RC4. The oil chamber should only effect damping, not sag.

Weird 'cause my VP Free had the right amount of sag with a 450-500 lb spring. This bike has different geometry (and more leverage) but 700 lb seems like a very stiff spring.

·
Registered
601 Posts
700 seems odd, I got the oil chamber thing from the fox site when the RC4 came out they were saying to drop a spring rate. Like I said I run a 550 at 190 lbs with the RC4 and have under the recommended 30 % sag, closer to 25.

Is the compression circut working on your shock?

Oh and did the shock come with the bike? Or is it after market. I was just thinking the compression tune might not be set up for a VP bike

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, the shock provides damping, it does nothing/very little for sag. Yeah, you can compensate by adjusting other variables for sag, but the spring is primarily responsible for that.

It's a DHX 5.0 from another bike (a VP Free, so it was a VP bike). It's a 8.75 x 2.75, so it should make no difference on sag. Damping maybe, but not sag.

Oh, and the online spring calculator says I need a 660 lb spring, so 650/700 sounds about right.

·
Registered
601 Posts
On a V10 with a 2.75 stroke you should have .875 of an inch sag for the 30%. I would call Santa Cruz about it, everything I can find for other people the same weight as you on a V10 with a DhX 5.0 are running 500-550 springs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sag should be 25mm on the shock shaft.I'm 215,and run a 600 on a dhx5 with pro pedal removed.I,m just a hair over 25mm on the shaft,but i like that bike saggy.My buddy's about 180 with a 550 spring but he likes his set up firmer.Personal preferance i guess.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
It could very well be that your 600# spring is less than it's label. Sicklines did a small article on labelled rates versus actual.

I'm 185 lbs (200 lbs geared up) and run a 550# Ti spring with a sag of 38.5%. Shock is an RC4. With the smaller shaft diameter of the DHX 5 you should be very close to a 600# spring.

All that said, run what feel good on the trails.

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW, the 600 lb spring sags to around 7.5" (measured eye-to-eye) and the Fox guy confirmed on visual inspection was way too much. Again, not sure what a "smaller diameter shaft" would have to do with sag. But, the 600 does look very different from my 500, 450, 400, etc... springs that I have, so though mislabeled, can't be one of those.

While you might like your bike "saggy" too much sag is a bad thing. Big hits will eat up all the travel of your shock and you'll wither get coil bind or the shock with stop working when it hits the bottom out setting. I think that's what been happening to me, the rear end gets quite jumpy in the rough stuff.

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
FWIW, the 700 has about perfect sag. Curious why you guys' spring rates are so different? I'll find out how it rides this weekend.
maybe you're a bit more than 190 lbs? :madmax:
But seriously, all geared up you have to be more than 190. Did you talk to the Fox guy at N* last weekend?

·
Ancient Chinese Secret
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe you're a bit more than 190 lbs? :madmax:
But seriously, all geared up you have to be more than 190. Did you talk to the Fox guy at N* last weekend?
I did, I went to the Fox booth, and with the 600# spring, he said I was running too much sag. He said I needed at least a 650# spring. The Fox calculator says I need a 660# spring. That makes sense, since all things being equal, given that I was running the exact same setup with the VP Free and a 500# spring, that the V10 is 25% more travel, so guesstimating 25% more spring stiffness (not sure if the relationship is linear) so would come in at 625#.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.