Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a Yeti SB150, rider weight at 68kg with gear. Thinking of trying coil, to be specific a DVO Jade X.
DVO suggested a 425-500lbs progressive coil rate for me, I'm not looking for plushness, just into the suppleness yet still with good support and stability but don't want to be overly harsh.

I checked almost all free available spring rate calculate suggested a 375-380lbs coil rate for 27-28%. However, none have any info about progressive coil.

As SB150 is a rather linear bike at 15% progressive, is it the less progressive the bike the higher the rate should be?
Because DVO also have a 350-400lbs progressive coil, would that be a better choice?
Not that I don't trust them but there's much less that you can tune in Jade X, I want to make sure I get can as close as to what I want.

· Registered
2022 Ibis Ripmo AF 2020 Intense Tazer MX Expert
323 Posts
Im 6'3" 230 lbs and have the Jade coil on my Intense Tazer MX ebike. The factory coil was a 525. I have upgraded to a progressive rate spring 525-650. The 650 spring was the rate suggested by DVO. I really like the coil. It absorbs big drops and is supple for roots and small bumps. The progressive springs are a little more expensive that a single rate.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Generally online spring rate calcs are miles off, usually much softer than required...however also generally the more progressive the bike the softer the spring rate, for reference at 73kg on an sb165 ilI am happy to run anywhere between 400 and 450lbs. I would suggest 450lbs for your weight on the sb150 or 425 if you like things a bit softer.

· Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
I'm riding a Yeti SB150, rider weight at 68kg with gear. Thinking of trying coil, to be specific a DVO Jade X.
DVO suggested a 425-500lbs progressive coil rate for me, I'm not looking for plushness, just into the suppleness yet still with good support and stability but don't want to be overly harsh.

I checked almost all free available spring rate calculate suggested a 375-380lbs coil rate for 27-28%. However, none have any info about progressive coil.

As SB150 is a rather linear bike at 15% progressive, is it the less progressive the bike the higher the rate should be?
Because DVO also have a 350-400lbs progressive coil, would that be a better choice?
Not that I don't trust them but there's much less that you can tune in Jade X, I want to make sure I get can as close as to what I want.
Call DVO, or email them, they reply typically within few days

· Registered
893 Posts
Call DVO, or email them, they reply typically within few days
This!!!

I haven't even actually purchased anything from DVO yet, just been in contact with them regarding a pre-order for a Sapphire fork and the level of communication and support I have received has been impressive. Based on my experience so far if you reach out to them I find it hard to believe they won't be able to get you sorted out.

· Registered
390 Posts
Sounds like he already contacted DVO to get the recommendation?

I emailed DVO directly to figure out my spring rate. I'm ~76kg and run a 500lb linear in my Trek Remedy, DVO Jade X. Most bike & suspension companies don't actually recommend progressive rate springs since it's more difficult (or sometimes impossible, depending on the frame/shock combo) to dial in your rebound/compression settings.

Personally, I think it's worth a shot for a linear bike like yours. But I would first buy a couple $20 steel springs. Hell, pinkbike has hundreds of used ones for even cheaper since everyone buys/tries/resells. Start at 450lb. If you want it more/less firm, then change it. I would only swap to a progressive spring after you fully understand the feel of a linear spring. You don't want too many variables at one time.

· Registered
7,177 Posts
My opinion is skip the coil if you do any jumps or drops. I had quite bad luck with bottom outs on my SJ Evo (19% progression stock) even on mild obstacles. It got much better on the Cascade link (26% progression) on the coil, but really the air shock with the Cascade is about right.

I suspect the correct progression rate for a coil shock is 28%++.

That said, if you insist on a coil, definitely go with a progressive coil spring.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
calculators suggest a 350lb spring for my bike (mk1 transition patrol) I run a 400-488lb progressive spring. I would try a cheap spring and see how it feels before splashing out on a progressive spring.
EDIT:
Would you find the 400-488 too harsh for you?
I just have a look at the patrol is a pretty linear bike, running higher spring rate and using a progressive spring would be a better choice for you I assume?

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My opinion is skip the coil if you do any jumps or drops. I had quite bad luck with bottom outs on my SJ Evo (19% progression stock) even on mild obstacles. It got much better on the Cascade link (26% progression) on the coil, but really the air shock with the Cascade is about right.

I suspect the correct progression rate for a coil shock is 28%++.

That said, if you insist on a coil, definitely go with a progressive coil spring.
I do jumps and drops but most of the time I like chunks and steeps. I've got my air shock pretty dailed. Just wanna try on a coil, so going to get a custom tune jade x.

· Registered
1,247 Posts
EDIT:
Would you find the 400-488 too harsh for you?
I just have a look at the patrol is a pretty linear bike, running higher spring rate and using a progressive spring would be a better choice for you I assume?
nope - even ran with a 450lb spring as well. If you are doing jumps you don't want to be bottoming out all the time. Springs off ebay are pretty cheap so easy to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.