Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those Enduro owners who have switched over to a Fox coil instead of the Float......how much do you weigh and what spring rate did you get?

At 210 pounds + gear, the Fox spring calculater told me to go with a 700# spring. That was WAY to stiff, so I ordered a 650#. That was still a little stiff, so (you guessed it) I bought a 600#. I still feel I am not at my "sweet spot", so I am looking at a 550# or a 500#.

Just wanted to get some input.

Also, if you are in the market for a 700#, 650# or 600# X 2.3", I will make you a great deal!

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CCRiderKY said:
Question for those Enduro owners who have switched over to a Fox coil instead of the Float......how much do you weigh and what spring rate did you get?

At 210 pounds + gear, the Fox spring calculater told me to go with a 700# spring. That was WAY to stiff, so I ordered a 650#. That was still a little stiff, so (you guessed it) I bought a 600#. I still feel I am not at my "sweet spot", so I am looking at a 550# or a 500#.

Also, if you are in the market for a 700#, 650# or 600# X 2.3", I will make you a great deal!

Does Specialized support the use of a coil shock on the Enduro? I'm curious as a buudy of mine is about to buy an Enduro Expert and I know he would prefer a coil shock.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CCRiderKY said:

I have a really good spring rate calculator. You have to know the shock stroke, sprung weight, desired sag. It also helps if you know if the linkage is a rising rate, linear, or falling rate. My guess with the Enduro is a falling rate. That would mate with an air shock which has a lot of ramp up at the end of the stroke.

Send me a pm if you want the calculator.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts

I may be interested in the 600# spring - email me w/ the free length & and asking price, [email protected]. Thanx

·
Registered
446 Posts
CCRIDER - my spring experience

Hey CCRIDER,
You may want to search for my rather lengthy, detailed narratives on coil over swap.
Recap: I weigh 160lbs love long technical rides. 03 ENDURO 04 Marathon Coils S 120mm with medium ( not stock Heavy springs) springs up front and currently 500lb FOX springy in the rear. I have a 450 spring which generally feels great and balances out the Marathon up front. It does blow through the travel and bottoms out more frequently than the 500 lb spring. Overall the 500 seems to be best for me, but I feel the 450 is a bit livelier. When one is jumping off obstacles and screwing around urban style the 450 feels noticeable softer ( perhaps a bit too soft), the 500 better. Off road on the ripples only and like the 450 is perfect but perhaps a bit too soft on the bigger stuff. Overall I would say my preference at my weight and style is the 500.

My brother weighs around 190 and we bought two different springs for him , I think he has a 600 and 700 but it looks like he will be doing some time away from his bike for some time, so I cannot offer a suggestion. For my weight and style I would recommend 500 lb spring, algebraically that equates to a 650lb spring for someone at 200 lbs. That is just an estimate based on my experience and preferences for stiffness versus liveliness might dictate +- another 50 lbs.

Your front shock will have a material impact on the rear end so you must consider that in the equation as well! My 2 centavos worth…
Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Specialized DOES NOT Support The Use Of A Coil On The Enduro

Blue Shorts said:
Does Specialized support the use of a coil shock on the Enduro? I'm curious as a buudy of mine is about to buy an Enduro Expert and I know he would prefer a coil shock.
At least not on an Enduro other than the SX. (The SX is set up differently for dual slalom.) It is one of the reasons why they have a "non-standard" i2i on the Float w/ITCH.

·
Registered
63 Posts
spring rate

I weigh about 175 lb ,my coil shock came with a 650 which was a bit stiff ,so I swapped for a 550 which seems perfect -unless you are doing bigger drops ,prolly not a good idea w the Enduro frame.My LBS, where I bought the bike saw the Sherman + coilshock + wont do free services on a modified bike - typical .

·
Registered
446 Posts
Won't service ??

rowdyflat said:
I weigh about 175 lb ,my coil shock came with a 650 which was a bit stiff ,so I swapped for a 550 which seems perfect -unless you are doing bigger drops ,prolly not a good idea w the Enduro frame.My LBS, where I bought the bike saw the Sherman + coilshock + wont do free services on a modified bike - typical .
Man that is balogney, swapping coil for air done properly should not be an issue. Now swapping from 120mm front fork to a longer one which will open the head angle may cause unanticipated additional stress loads on the headset and tubes = may not be in the specs for the frame design which is a diff issue.

Your LBS may simply trying to save themselves some work.

Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
I weigh around 180 and run a 600lb spring on my Romic. 500 was definitely too soft - I bottomed it out a lot. I wanted to try a 550, but Romic doesn't make a 550 in 8"X2". 600 Seems right for me, but Id like to find a used 550.

·
Registered
63 Posts
air to coil

No the Sherman is a firefly excellent fork so front went from120 to 130mm + because the rear shock is about 7.825 slightly longer than Fox air shock I reckon the geometry stayed the same.
LBS is just being stupid because I bought the modifications cheaper some where else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts