Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a parts bin spring I want to try for S and G but it is too long. The math works: 65mm spring for a 57mm shock, and I want to compress it by 6mm to install. I should have enough overhead for the stroke to make sense.

big issue of course is the preload would be ALL wrong.

The question is is there anything problematic trying this besides the performance is likely no good? Or is there a very real longevity or reliability concern trying this for a couple rides?

it would have to go on and off by ziptie.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to try out different spring weights with springs I have (which are designed for my other bike shock but would fit GREAT other than being 6.3mm too long). That is a free proposition, and if it feels "righter" than the existing spring, I've learned something about the final spring I'll go buy, without buying an SLS or Ti spring of ultimately the wrong weight.

So, you are totally right it's masses of preload. What is the consequence of riding on too much preload?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

actually this is somewhat informative. Which is even more interesting because the spring I HAVE is a 450, and the one that is too long is a VALT progressive from 400-488.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The problem with too much preload is poor sensitivity in initial travel, may as well try a poorly serviced air shock.1-2 turns 3 turns max

You can run a longer stroke linear spring on smaller stroke shock as long as you can get the collar on easily and don't need to compress to get it on.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks. It's a no-go.

tried anyways and didn’t want to go where I needed to go. It actually could work, .25 is maybe 6 turns of preload max. But to get the collar on I have to compress that sucker more than half an inch and boy is that a pucker moment holding a spring compressed that much and held together with 4 zipties.

No, it gets the the point of a safety concern. I really wanna try it, but not so bad I’ll walk around with a time bomb held together by cheap plastic straps in my hand. Time to spend money i guess…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.