Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone here said, spring in the Sierra's lasts half a year, depending on elevation. Flower display is pretty spectacular around Tahoe right now, and so of course is the riding.
Our Grouse Ridge plans had to be aborted because of an apparent wildfire (smoke, road closure) so we drove on to Tahoe to have some impromptu fun on Stanford rock and the TRT. The next day we bumped into BigLarry on his birthday ride on the switchback section coming from the TRT of Marlette overlook - good to meet you! Some pics (and more):

</img>
Mule ears near StanfordRock

</img>
Poser shot on the rock - Twin Peaks in the back

</img>
Mule ears everywhere

</img>
Some snow patches on our way to Twin Peaks

</img>
Wildflowers on the Red House flume trail

</img>
Indian paintbrush

</img>
Sunflower Hill

</img>
TRT to Marlette overlook

</img>
TRT

</img>
Flume trail

</img>
Snow plant

</img>
The lake

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Spectacular photos!

Nice job on the photos! I hope to make it up there next weekend. Hopefully the flowers will still be as nice. On your mtbrguru ride description I believe you have linked to the wrong page. You did that ride with me a few years ago. I believe you mean to link to this ride: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Tahoe_7/

The Red House Flume is nothing great but I devised that route to get up to the Marlette Lake overlook without climbing up that steep TRT with all those switchbacks. I only tired it once many years ago and I had to walk most of it. I bet you could ride most of it.

An alternative, which is also much easier logistically, is to start at Mt. Rose, go south on the Flume (counterclockwise), then north on Hobart road, north on the TRT up to the Marlette Lake overlook, down the switchbacks, and then back to Mt. Rose. It's only about 2 miles longer but it has way more climbing.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I think I might have seen your group.

Were you at the TRT/Tunnel Creek junction about noon with a pretty large group? I was on a grey Titus ML headed back to Tahoe Meadows. I dont understand why so many people take the red house flume or ride the flume south and climb hobart road to marlette lookout. My favorite ride is to start at tahoe meadows, ride the TRT through tunnel creek and up to marlette lookout, take hobart down to marlette lake, flume trail back to tunnel creek, tunnel creek back up to the TRT, then the TRT back to tahoe meadows. Its almost 29 miles with about 7 miles of hard climbing at the end but its a great ride plus no shuttling involved which saves gas. One thing I cant believe lately is how much trash I see on these pristine trails, unfortunately it looks as it is brought in by mtb's as it is mostly powerbar/gel wrappers plus an occasional tube and CO2 cartridge!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
craigstr said:
Were you at the TRT/Tunnel Creek junction about noon with a pretty large group? I was on a grey Titus ML headed back to Tahoe Meadows.
No, we took the 11am shuttle from Spooner lake so we ended up there ~1pm.

I dont understand why so many people take the red house flume or ride the flume south and climb hobart road to marlette lookout. My favorite ride is to start at tahoe meadows, ride the TRT through tunnel creek and up to marlette lookout, take hobart down to marlette lake, flume trail back to tunnel creek, tunnel creek back up to the TRT, then the TRT back to tahoe meadows.
That's a fine route but we had never done the Red House flume / Sunflower hill so we wanted to check it out. The benefits are: spectacular wildflower display this time of the year, and going down the switchback section of the TRT coming from Marlette instead of up. Both are fun but descending it just a bit more.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wherewolf said:
Nice job on the photos! I hope to make it up there next weekend. Hopefully the flowers will still be as nice. On your mtbrguru ride description I believe you have linked to the wrong page. You did that ride with me a few years ago. I believe you mean to link to this ride: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Tahoe_7/
Thanks, I must have been sleeping, fixed the link.
I hope to make it up there again one of the next weeks, for some Freel Pass / Punisher fun - which was our original plan that we fortunately aborted as this ride already beat us up...

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
ElHombre said:
Somewhere on my buddy's camera, he's a bit lazy with this stuff... and, I believe BigLarry took some.
Yep, I have your picture. I'll give it back to you right here, when I get home from Tahoe.

Nice to run into you. It gave me a break while waiting for my group to finish their lunch on down below.:rolleyes:

I sure wish you'd had those GPS tracks of Red House Flume before this trip, and saved me a long descent down into logging roads. I'll post my tracks on your site, but it might lead others down that same bad path (hee, hee, hee).

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Where did BigLarry end up going?

Where did you end up going BigLarry? The route maps are pretty clear for all the trails between Mt. Rose and Spooner Lake. BTW Friday night I finally figured out how to follow the GPS tracks posted by others :thumbsup:

I'm pretty impressed with the Garmin 705. The altimeter matches topo maps perfectly.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Where did you end up going BigLarry? The route maps are pretty clear for all the trails between Mt. Rose and Spooner Lake. BTW Friday night I finally figured out how to follow the GPS tracks posted by others :thumbsup:

I'm pretty impressed with the Garmin 705. The altimeter matches topo maps perfectly.
Actually, there were NO route maps for the Red House Flume trail area. The best map, that shows Red House Flume at all, is one I got from your web site that just shows a red streak on the map. It doesn't show other trails or turns. Before my ride, I compared contours, distances, streams, etc, and made waypoints for where I thought Red House and the intersection of Sunflower Hill would be. As usual, I indeed got those pretty accurate, within 150' or so.

The problem is that going down Red House Flume, there was a log across the trail on the right. A sign said Hobart that way, and Red Flume underneath, going to the left. So I took the "open" road on the left. After descending another 500' over a couple minutes, and seeing I was going slightly away from the Red House with no turns back towards it, I realized I'd taken a wrong turn. I was so far down, I figured I'd just go a little further and try to find a connecting road around the stream, which was indeed successful. Overall, I maybe descended 700' too far.

0gre and mtbikermom were also confused at that intersection, but lucky for them two guys came out and told them it was the right trail. The guys also said they didn't see me, so they correctly surmised I went down into oblivian. I think that is one of the reasons they weren't overly concerned. They figured it was just a matter of time before I extracted myself one way or another, going back all the way, back up to the intersection, or finding a new route as I did.

To see exactly where I went and how I got out, you can download my Motion Based GPX files into your map source and overlay it with your other routes. El Hombre of mtbguru.com just did the correct route, so we'll finally have his track for comparison.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
I don't get it

BigLarry said:
Actually, there were NO route maps for the Red House Flume trail area. The best map, that shows Red House Flume at all, is one I got from your web site that just shows a red streak on the map. .
I don't get it. Here are the maps from my site, Spooner Bike shop and the State Park map, both of which show the Red House Flume trail. They are all I ever used. Red House is in black on the former and purple on the latter. So you had a big adventure :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
BigLarry said:
Actually, there were NO route maps for the Red House Flume trail area. The best map, that shows Red House Flume at all, is one I got from your web site that just shows a red streak on the map. It doesn't show other trails or turns. Before my ride, I compared contours, distances, streams, etc, and made waypoints for where I thought Red House and the intersection of Sunflower Hill would be. As usual, I indeed got those pretty accurate, within 150' or so.

To see exactly where I went and how I got out, you can download my Motion Based GPX files into your map source and overlay it with your other routes. El Hombre of mtbguru.com just did the correct route, so we'll finally have his track for comparison.
Whoa, all that and you _skipped_ the Flume? Especially if you've ridden the 9 miles of TRT from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek, the TRT past Marlette Peak is a whole lot of ho-hum (there are views from the Sand Harbor Overlook, but that is a 1+ mile r/t hike that you'd get for free by riding Flume).

There are a few Red Flume tracks on Motionbased (Brainstump's got me looking for others, as his seemed to be broken).

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
I've only ridden the Flume trail once, about 5 years ago. I started at Spooner Lake and rode it as a loop clockwise. So I want to do it again and the question I have is, I'll be starting from Spooner again. Which direction will provide me with the most downhill enjoyment and least amount of climbing? Should I try riding it counter clockwise and throw in Sunflower Hill and Red House Flume? Or how about from Spooners to Marlette Lake, make a right, go to TRT and make a left, ride TRT to Redhouse Flume, right onto Red House Flume, right again on Sunflower Hill, right on TRT again to Tunnel Creek and south on the Flume back to Spooner. Please help. I don"t have a clue.

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
I thought about that but the shuttle's first run is 9:30. I plan on starting at 6AM and hopefully be done by 10AM so I am able to spend the rest of the day with the family. Plus the even day thing doesn't work for me either.

·
Hardtail Warrior
509 Posts
Nice photos. We just got back from Tahoe today. It is a beautiful place to ride. We had a family reunion camping trip so we didn't get to do as much riding as we were hoping but we did get in a sweet ride on Monday on Toads (no pics unfortunately, I don't have a camera).

We rode up Oneidas street (paved road) to Armstrong pass. Armstrong was soo nice. It was a single track climb with some pretty technical stuff throw in. It was a good warmup for the downhill and the beautiful scenery made it feel like we weren't even climbing as much as we were. From there we took a right onto TRT at the intersection towards big meadow. It was more of the same singletrack climbing. Some snow, very sandy but oh so fun. Finally it started to descend and it didn't stop until the end. We rode down TRT to Toads and just bombed. The first part of Toads was insane on my 80mm travel HT lol. I'm not lying when I say that I use that bike for everything... Toads was amazing because of the speed, the variety, and spontaniety, and the area. Anyone who gets a chance and likes a good day's run with technical ups and downs take this ride!! I can't say enough how awesome this route was. All in all we did 25 miles (We went up, down, up one section lol).

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Don't need a GPS

anotherbrian said:
There are a few Red Flume tracks on Motionbased (Brainstump's got me looking for others, as his seemed to be broken).
You don't need a GPS for this ride, just follow the map. Have we forgotten how to use maps now that we have GP Systems?

Guesswho117: TahoeBC is correct. Except for the initial altitude shock, Mt. Rose down The Flume to Spooner is a fairly easy Tahoe ride. And it is a lot easier, more fun and beautiful than climbing up that boring 4.5 mile fire road up from Spooner Lake. Just be aware you should only ride from Mt. Rose on even days. Be sure to pick up the map at the bike shop ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
anotherbrian said:
When I did my clockwise loop of Red House/Sunflower, my garmin was turned off for the first mile or two at the start of Red House Flume.

Guesswho117 said:
I've only ridden the Flume trail once, about 5 years ago. I started at Spooner Lake and rode it as a loop clockwise. So I want to do it again and the question I have is, I'll be starting from Spooner again. Which direction will provide me with the most downhill enjoyment and least amount of climbing? Should I try riding it counter clockwise and throw in Sunflower Hill and Red House Flume? Or how about from Spooners to Marlette Lake, make a right, go to TRT and make a left, ride TRT to Redhouse Flume, right onto Red House Flume, right again on Sunflower Hill, right on TRT again to Tunnel Creek and south on the Flume back to Spooner. Please help. I don"t have a clue.
I would say do the same route you did last time only do it counter clockwise.

Counter clockwise route: Hobart Rd>TRT>Tunnel>Flume>Hobart....

I really wasn't impressed with the Red House/Sunflower option. But the flowers on display make adding this option more than worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.