Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to withstand Las Vegas for a full 24 hours before I had to flee back to the desert. I cranked Cheryl Crow and bolted back north. My aunt and uncle had recommended Valley of Fire State Park and I stopped in for a look-see.

I was only able to visit a few of the readily-accessible attractions (rocks and rock art), but I did appreciate the late-afternoon light.

Nature Vegetation Mountainous landforms Brown Natural landscape

I reluctantly turned toward St. George, but couldn't resist another photo.

Mountainous landforms Plant community Slope Rock Mountain

And, just out of the park, one more.

Mountainous landforms Landscape Slope Mountain Terrain

I rolled into St. George a bit late and fell into bed. The next day, it was back on the road, with a few more family treasures stuffed into my jam-packed Honda Civic. I made a quick stop at the Kolob section of Zion National Park for a blustery but scenic walk before aiming my sights at the San Rafael Swell. I was not to be denied this time around.

I didn't have time to do much besides stop at all of the scenic overlooks, but my appetite was most certainly whetted for two days of upcoming exploration.

Mountainous landforms Highland Landscape Rock Slope

My camping aspirations were once again thwarted and I retreated to the Motel 6 in Green River. It's really quite adequate. A short stroll at sunset proved to be most rewarding.

Nature Natural landscape Natural environment Cloud Water resources

I slept long and hard and awoke ready, finally, for a good long-ish ride. Many thanks are due to Chuky for both inspiration and beta. I managed to find the start of my intended ride and set off. It started near a notable landmark.

Photograph Landscape Slope Rock Outcrop

A bit of a climb proved to be a fine warmup.

Vegetation Nature Brown Natural environment Landscape

This area warrants a great deal more exploration. This was not the only enticing trail wandering across the landscape.

Nature Vegetation Brown Natural environment Natural landscape

Familar landmarks at an unfamiliar distance.

Nature Vegetation Blue Daytime Brown

Ahhh.

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Landscape

It was a lovely ride on a lovely day. I was thrilled to be out of the wind, at least momentarily. It felt great to just relax and pedal for a couple of hours. I also really enjoyed the relative tranquility of this area, especially compared with Moab. It is high on my list of areas to revisit; the possibilities are tremendously enticing.

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing your spring break adventures with us.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I envy your photography skills.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Nice! Great photos! The swell is a really cool place. From what little time I've spent there it seems like a better place for hiking/backpacking than riding, but I do think there is some good bike accessible places there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scorpionwoman said:
Nice! Thanks for sharing your spring break adventures with us.
I'm glad you like. Sorry I couldn't find more flowers for you ;). I was a little ahead of the season for the most part.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Trails in the Swell?

Check out Five Miles of Hell and Iron Wash. They'll give you a couple of days of riding and walking. They're more than most people dare to challenge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts