Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi suppose u want to find a use for a used cassette that still shifts ok but you can clearly see some rust at the back of the spider/cogs? Would spray painting the entire cassette black protect it from rust later on or trying some chemicals to actually remove the rust be a better option?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hi suppose u want to find a use for a used cassette that still shifts ok but you can clearly see some rust at the back of the spider/cogs? Would spray painting the entire cassette black protect it from rust later on or trying some chemicals to actually remove the rust be a better option?
Neither. Once rust gets on steel, it's almost impossible to get rid of it. Spray paint will only cover it up temporarily. Phosphoric acid can be used to try and stop it, but it's pretty hazardous. Anything you put on the cassette will come off if it's where the chain contacts the teeth.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would just hit it with degreaser and a wire brush to clean it up. Dry thoroughly, apply some chain lube to all surfaces and ride it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm i can't get hold of acids and that home depot rust remover but i have read about "descaling agents" and i think i can get hold of some in powder form where one mixes it with water to form a solution? Do u think those can work?

·
Cycologist
10,113 Posts
Hmm i can't get hold of acids and that home depot rust remover but i have read about "descaling agents" and i think i can get hold of some in powder form where one mixes it with water to form a solution? Do u think those can work?
Is it worth the time, effort and money? How bad is the rust and how much life is left in the cassette? Ride it until it's done and then buy a new one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it worth the time, effort and money? How bad is the rust and how much life is left in the cassette? Ride it until it's done and then buy a new one.
well the rust is clearly evident but i like to experiment and learn stuff especially when it comes to bike parts maintenance and possibly salvage :p i dun really mind if it costs some coin as i learn something new and gives me a sense of satisfaction ^^

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Ok one sec would upload - ok done ^^ Its a 9 speed Acera class Shimano cassette

You linked images of brand new cassettes. I know what a brand new shiny cassette looks like. What I don't know is what your rusty cassette looks like.

Spray painting is not an option unless you are going for the hillbilly white trash "meet my 1st cousin/wife" look.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,839 Posts
Definitely. My brother was in the US Navy and said that they regularly painted over rust. If it's good enough for the US Navy...

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Definitely. My brother was in the US Navy and said that they regularly painted over rust. If it's good enough for the US Navy...
lol

Putting a fresh coat of paint on anything will Fix It !
*Good enough for Government Work / painting over rust = sweeping dirt under the rug is to house cleaning. :cool:

OP- Have fun with your restoration project ! SEE HERE;

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Doesn't look that bad. If it were me... WD40 it and wire brush.

Can you separate the cogs? If so, do so and wire brush 'em. All except the large aluminium cog.

Get the WD40 off and keep it oiled.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow did not expect so many helpful insights and tips so thks all! I shall try it out and if successful would def share my experiences back here for the benefit of the community :thumbsup: Hmm only the 11 & 13T cogs are removable with the rest bolted/riveted on to the spider me thinks?

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Wow did not expect so many helpful insights and tips so thks all! I shall try it out and if successful would def share my experiences back here for the benefit of the community :thumbsup: Hmm only the 11 & 13T cogs are removable with the rest bolted/riveted on to the spider me thinks?
check the back of the cassette, there might be screwed pins, might be rivets. If screws and not too rusted you might be able to remove them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.