Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What experience does anybody have using spray on bandage and road rash during a ride on the trail? Does it stay well on a recent bleeding (slightly) wound on the knee for the rest of the ride?

I would think that the highest priority would be to clean the wound first with water and alcohol wipes.

I have used spray on bandage on road rash a few days later, after the wound has scabbed over. It worked well and stayed on for quite a while (like three days). The only drawback was when it came off a little at a time it was hard to pull off without taking some body hair with it (I guess that wouldn't be a probem for some).

I am going to take some with me on rides and was wondering what experience people have out there with using it immediately after an accident. I think it would help to keep dirt and dried horse dung out of my wound for the rest of the ride.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Quasi said:
What experience does anybody have using spray on bandage and road rash during a ride on the trail? Does it stay well on a recent bleeding (slightly) wound on the knee for the rest of the ride?

I would think that the highest priority would be to clean the wound first with water and alcohol wipes.

I have used spray on bandage on road rash a few days later, after the wound has scabbed over. It worked well and stayed on for quite a while (like three days). The only drawback was when it came off a little at a time it was hard to pull off without taking some body hair with it (I guess that wouldn't be a probem for some).

I am going to take some with me on rides and was wondering what experience people have out there with using it immediately after an accident. I think it would help to keep dirt and dried horse dung out of my wound for the rest of the ride.
Blood has a natural coagulant, unless you have a gaping wound it should just stop itself and you'll be fine. Also, dirt and horse crap aren't going to do anything to you health wise. In my opinion not soemthing I'd even worry about but that's just me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Assuming you mean something like plastic skin, I find it excellent as a temporary measure just to stop bleeding and reduce the chance of infection.

It has an antiseptic effect as well as covering the wound. It is much better than almost any other type of dressing as it sticks to dirty, sweaty skin, and stays there for the rest of the ride.

Once you get home it comes off with plenty of warm water - i.e. in the shower - and allows you to clean and dress the wound properly.

I've used it several times on the trail!

Alaric.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Only one I remember was when I was a kid and it burnt like a BiAtCh when applied, but it seemed to stay on very well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alaric said:
Assuming you mean something like plastic skin, I find it excellent as a temporary measure just to stop bleeding and reduce the chance of infection.

It has an antiseptic effect as well as covering the wound. It is much better than almost any other type of dressing as it sticks to dirty, sweaty skin, and stays there for the rest of the ride.

Once you get home it comes off with plenty of warm water - i.e. in the shower - and allows you to clean and dress the wound properly.

I've used it several times on the trail!

Alaric.
The stuff I have used is called "New Skin Liquid Bandage." It comes in a little aerosol-like can. I also saw a comparable product made by 3M when I bought this one. They were all pretty expensive. :mad: This stuff doesn't seem to come off easily with hot water and soap. But I have only used it on a wound which was already scabbed over (so I could go biking again a few days after my accident). In the shower, it would not come off the scab at all and it was tough to take it off elsewhere because of adherence to body hair (I could always use a scissors if necessary). Ahhh... now I read the instructions, it says to remove spray a bit more on the area and rub off with a cloth or use finger nail polish remover. :eekster:

Alaric: What brand did you use? Was it a brush-on or spray-on?

Rivet: I am not worried about bleeding to death. My blood does coagulate fine. I am worried about having my wounds heal fast so I don't have to deal with complications and constantly have to apply disinfectant. I do believe dirt often contains bacteria which can cause infections.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The stuff I have is an aerosol, called "Heal & Seal".

I've had it for more than 10 years, though, and I didn't buy it - a friend is an Ambulance driver, and he passed a couple of cans my way.

And, yes, it does sometimes sting a little (although not always for some reason)!

It is sometimes a bit difficult to remove from hairs...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Fast healing

Quasi said:
T

Rivet: I am not worried about bleeding to death. My blood does coagulate fine. I am worried about having my wounds heal fast so I don't have to deal with complications and constantly have to apply disinfectant. I do believe dirt often contains bacteria which can cause infections.
The liquid bandage temporary conseals your wounds, serves the purpose of stopping bleeding and isolate them from dirt, but to my opinion only makes the healing process worse. In the long round it's harder to clean and sanitize the wounds underneath, gave you a false impression the wound is dry (only on the surface). Once getting home, I prefer to leave the wounds open and dry with spread on anti-septics (Hammer and Arms spead-on is the best so far, and trust me, I tried evrything in durg store), cover with bandage if needed but change frequently, keeping clean and dry is the key to fast healing.

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
Rivet said:
Blood has a natural coagulant, unless you have a gaping wound it should just stop itself and you'll be fine. Also, dirt and horse crap aren't going to do anything to you health wise. In my opinion not soemthing I'd even worry about but that's just me.
If you get dirt and/or horse crap in a wound and it heals over you could get a nasty infection. I don't think spray on bandage is necessary, however, since it takes awhile for that infection to set in and you should be fine to just let the wound go (with some light trail cleaning, if possible) and then clean it out for good once you get home.

Whenever you have dirt embedded in a wound you HAVE to remove it, as painful as that might be. Once the wound is clean, keep it dry and let it scab over.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Good stuff

As others have noted, there is no substitute for cleaning the scrape. Water from your Camel Back, while not sterile is probably cleaner than trail dirt.

I used it on a bad scrape after I cleaned it out thoroughly, and it made the rest of my trip much more tolerable. No blood in my sleeping bag, dripping down into my socks and shoes, on the car upholstry, etc. Bandages would have worked too, but sweaty bandages on Day 2 are not healthy and I have yet to find a bandage that sticks well to sweaty skin.

A real man can shave his scrape before applying the stuff. Guess that's why I'm still a boy.

Walt

·
Registered
211 Posts
Many of the aerosol cans clog easily, so don't be surprised if you don't get to use the whole bottle before you have to throw it away... Nu Skin is great, but not on a bleeding wound. It has an aniseptic in it, so ok to put on fresh and seeping wounds, but not active bleeders. It definitely stings, but works great on scrapes - bend the joint before applying otherwise it will just split. We used to use it a lot in the military and on climbing trips (we called it 'plastic knuckle')... I use the 'non sting' version on my kids all the time, doesn't sting, but also doesn't work nearly as well...

You probably don't want to clean wounds with alcohol pads, or alcohol for that matter. Use water till you get home.

Overall, you're probably WAY better off throwing a bandana in your camelbak than Nu Skin. It can be used to stop a heavy bleeding cut, cover up a nasty scrape, splint a fracture, or dunk in the river to keep cool on a hot day. Also can keep you from using leaves/sock when you're on that long ride and suddenly 'gotta go'! Obviously replace the bandana if your camelbak gets soaked thru. Wouldn't want to slap a moldy bandana on a fresh wound....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.