Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent most of Saturday riding with a guy (not one of the brothers) that helped establish many of the original trails up on Gooseberry Mesa. We spent a good portion of the time riding all the connector trails that I've never ridden, some of which aren't marked or mapped, and trying to clean all the technical sections that have bested me for years. While I didn't clean all of them I did add a few notches to my belt so to speak, many of which were made possible by the Spot's climbing prowess and not my own.

Anyway, I also thought this might be the appropriate time for my Spot to make its debut on the boards.

Cheers,
Crash

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Y'know I loves da RED cause we be pooftas!
Fantastic vista bro! It makes me sick when ppl's local rides are what I'd have to vacation to:D

So we still need a Red clan name...how about a play on words?

"Maul en Rouge" ?:rolleyes:

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Y'know I loves da RED cause we be pooftas!
Fantastic vista bro! It makes me sick when ppl's local rides are what I'd have to vacation to:D

So we still need a Red clan name...how about a play on words?

"Maul en Rouge" ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtbdawgJeff said:
I have a black ano frame with that same fork on a FedEx truck heading my way. :D
Jeff, make sure you spend some time in the archives of the old forum digging up all the tid-bits (oil levels, air pressures, and what not) for the Z1 FR SL. It took me awhile to find the sweet spot in this fork, but with a little help from fellow riders, mainly tscheezy, I think I've hit the nail on the head. If you can't find the stuff and need some help there are a few of us currently running that fork that can chime in. Good luck and congrats on the new Spot.

·
Arf, he said.
273 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
Jeff, make sure you spend some time in the archives of the old forum digging up all the tid-bits (oil levels, air pressures, and what not) for the Z1 FR SL. It took me awhile to find the sweet spot in this fork, but with a little help from fellow riders, mainly tscheezy, I think I've hit the nail on the head. If you can't find the stuff and need some help there are a few of us currently running that fork that can chime in. Good luck and congrats on the new Spot.
Crash, first question is do I need to get a pump that reads low pressure more accurately? My pump reads from 0-300 psi so it's difficult to fine tune low pressure.

Obviously it will take a few rides to break it in and to fine tune my preferences. What pressures would you recommend for the 1st ride? I'm 175# and ride a large frame if that matters.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtbdawgJeff said:
Crash, first question is do I need to get a pump that reads low pressure more accurately?
Ya, I tried to tune my SL with my Fox shock pump put it didn't have the correct gauge so I just ponyed (sp?) up and got the Marz pump, basically the same shock just a different gauge.

mtbdawgJeff said:
Obviously it will take a few rides to break it in and to fine tune my preferences. What pressures would you recommend for the 1st ride? I'm 175# and ride a large frame if that matters.
It will take significantly more time than "a few rides" to break in the SL. Depending on the terrain I imagine (I'm far from an expert on this fork) it will take 100-200 miles to truly break it in. Ronnie, a Marz tech, recommended that I keep the stanctions lubed with Finish Line Stanction Lube to aid in the break-in process and help the seals bed properly. As far as pressures for your particular weight I'm not sure, but I'm 215 lbs w/gear and run anywhere from 140-150 neg. and 38-40 pos. I'd probably recommend that you keep the neg at 140 and just play with the positive in 1-2 lb increments till you get it where you want it. The most significant thing I've done is swap out the 7.5 wt oil to 10 wt to prevent the harsh rebound and associated top out. I'll also post, after I get home tonight, with the oil levels we've been running lately seeing as how many recommend that you make several oil changes during break-in due to the high amount of metal on metal parts. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.