Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing my first spot very soon and am interested in any feedback on my configuration. Let me clarify by saying what I want and what I can afford aren't exactly the same. My goal is to build a decent bike for around 3.5k. I am not a weight weenie, but I would prefer it under 30lbs. I am 5' 8" 160. I am not super up to date with what's compatible with what but here's what I configured:

* Frame Size & Color: Medium / black ano
* Fork: Fox Vanilla RLC
* Brakes: Hope Mono M4
* Cranks: XT
* Front Derailleur: XT
* Rear Derailleur: XT
* Pedals: Time ATAC XS
* Stem: Easton 110mm, 6deg
* Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite
* Seatpost: Easton Carbon
* Saddle: WTB Rocket V Race
* Bottom Bracket: XT
* Cassette: SRAM 9 speed
* Headset: CK
* Wheel Set: Mavic Crossmax xl
* Shifters: SRAM X.9

This came to about $3750 on beyondbikes.com. Anything i should upgrade despite the cost increase? Anywhere I can lower the cost without too much compramise. Thanks! and let me say that this forum is the reason why I want a Turner so bad.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
A few suggestions

OnYourLeft! said:
I will be purchasing my first spot very soon and am interested in any feedback on my configuration. Let me clarify by saying what I want and what I can afford aren't exactly the same. My goal is to build a decent bike for around 3.5k. I am not a weight weenie, but I would prefer it under 30lbs. I am 5' 8" 160. I am not super up to date with what's compatible with what but here's what I configured:

* Frame Size & Color: Medium / black ano
* Fork: Fox Vanilla RLC
try a Vanilla R unless you really really want lockout
* Brakes: Hope Mono M4
* Cranks: XT
* Front Derailleur: XT
* Rear Derailleur: XT
you'll need a SRAM der with the X9 shifters
* Pedals: Time ATAC XS
I prefer eggs
* Stem: Easton 110mm, 6deg
I'm 5'10" on a medium and have a 90mm stem
* Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite
* Seatpost: Easton Carbon
I have a thompson with no layback, I think this might put you too far aft
* Saddle: WTB Rocket V Race
* Bottom Bracket: XT
* Cassette: SRAM 9 speed
* Headset: CK
* Wheel Set: Mavic Crossmax xl
I handbuilt wheelset will let you repair it anywhere you can buy a spoke, like Denton, TX for instance.
* Shifters: SRAM X.9

This came to about $3750 on beyondbikes.com. Anything i should upgrade despite the cost increase? Anywhere I can lower the cost without too much compramise. Thanks! and let me say that this forum is the reason why I want a Turner so bad.
I know you you feel

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
second on the crossmax

I have a set of the crossmax XL, and although they are nice and stiff, the freehub design is not great, easily gets contaminated requring removal and cleaning after riding in wet and muddy conditions. Plus the spokes are expensive to replace (although they are hard to break). I would also suggest going with a handbuilt set with nice hubs like the Chris Kings and Mavic Rims.
Also agree on forgoing the RLC, I find the R to be plusher, the lockout I hardly ever used, and the compression ring did absolutely nothing.
Are you sure about the hopes?, I "hope" you like squeeling, because the hopes are pretty bad for that. Save some bucks with Avid mechanicals (I personally like Hayes, but not everyone else does)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Overall I'd say your build looks solid. First suggestion call Larry at Mnt. High Cyclery, you should be able to get as good a price if not better along with better service. Second, dump the Crossmax XL's for a nice custom Chris King wheelset, again Larry is the guy for wheel builds. If you haven't do a little research in Wheels and Tires regarding Crossmax vs. Chris King. Third while you're running x.9 shifters why not also run an x.9 or x.0 rear derailleur, keeping the XT FD? Third, drop the Easton stuff in lieu of Thomson stem & post and a Maxm bar. Fourth, personally I'd spec Avid Juicy Sevens before Mono's.

Also, check out this thread which is very similar in nature, requesting help with a 5 Spot build kit, as well as the Spot Setups (Data Base) thread. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
X.9 shifters don't even work with XT rear ders. Go with the X.0 rear der. Dump the carbon post for a Thomson. Dump the Mavic wheels for some King hubs and Velocity Aeroheat, DT, or similar cool rims. To save a buck (or a bunch) run this build past Larry (Ventanarama) at mtnhighcyclery.com and get a quote from him too. You have nothing to lose except your shorts.

Overall, it looks very worthy!

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
One suggestion: RUN away from BeyondBikes. Do not use them unless you want to get screwed. Do a search on them to find how many people have been screwed over the years by their shady operations.

As others have said, call Larry at Mtnhighcyclery. He has excellent prices and does quality work (wheels, assembly, etc) and does what he says he will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definately look into custom wheels (CK hubs). I've yet to hear anything bad about that those. Hopefully my budget will allow.

Why such a strong opinion against Easton? Are they crap or what?

tscheezy - SRAM rear der. it is. thanks for pointing that out.

Travis Bickle, Flying Wombat - I'm not expecially attached to having a lock out on my fork, just thought it would be nice to have.

Flying Wombat - I'm not set on Hope brakes, but im not sure about any them. After reading every post and review i could find (while pretending to be working) the opinions seem so split. One minute I see a clear choice Hope or Hayes, etc, next minute people are claiming they are crap. I know there will always be nay sayers to everything, but i cant help but look for a clear choice. Im sure once i experience one of them I'll be one another screaming opinion in the crowd Maybe I'll put it in the hands of Mr. Lincoln and flip a coin.

CDMC - thanks for that warning. Beyond Bikes is just a few miles away from me in San Diego... would have been nice to not wait for shipping time.

I see that everyone is pretty much running egg beaters, im a little reluctant to have such a small platform for when I'm making a mad scramble up a steep section. But then again everybody loves them for some reason, so maybe Ill be jumping on the wagon..

thanks everybody for the advice thus far!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
OnYourLeft! said:
I see that everyone is pretty much running egg beaters, im a little reluctant to have such a small platform for when I'm making a mad scramble up a steep section. But then again everybody loves them for some reason, so maybe Ill be jumping on the wagon..
I'd stick with the XS's. I made the mistake of jumping on the bandwagon ditching my ATAC's for Crank Bros Candy SL's (essentially the same pedal as the Eggs) only to turn around several weeks later and buy Time's new XS's. With the Candy's I was tired of my shoe unclipping everytime the bottom of my pedal smacked something, and cleat engagement and release was a little too soft.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
OnYourLeft! said:
CDMC - thanks for that warning. Beyond Bikes is just a few miles away from me in San Diego... would have been nice to not wait for shipping time.
As much as I hate to say it, people who deal directly with the storefront from Beyond Bikes have reported better success than the mail order side. It seems to help when you can be face to face with them.

Keep in mind that shipping of the bike takes about 2 days, and on a $3500 bike you are going to save about $250 on sales tax alone by ordering your bike from Larry. I would send your build specs to him and get a price.

Concerning Easton, the problem that many people have is their stems are not that great for the money. If you want to spend $65 for a stem, get thomson. For seatposts, the Easton Carbon posts have been known to break vs. the Thomson that is $40 less weighs only 30grams more and doesn't break. Ask yourself is it worth spending $40+ more to save 30 grams in exchange for a potential carbon fiber enema? Finally as someone mentioned, Turners seem to work best with a seatpost with no setback like the thomson.

Brakes: Avid Juicy's work wonderfully. Want to save a few bucks, get the Mechanicals and put the extra money into a Talus fork or your wheels.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
King hubs are a lifetime investment. Getting something cheaper is simply false economy. I'd slap some LX stuff on there in the "consumables" departments (chains, cassettes, rear der, etc) and save the $$ for the King hubs which you can put in your will.

Nothing wrong with Easton per se as was mentioned. Thomson is just superior in strength and durability and the saddle angle adjustment is the best out there.

You are right in that everyone has their pet brake. If you are a disc newbie, Hayes are probably the most trouble free and all-around consistent next to Avid mechanicals. If you see a lot of wet conditions, I'd personally stay away from Hopes. Otherwise all the top manufacturers have good products. I'm a Juicy whore myself (hmmm... that didn't come out sounding quite right...).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought a 5 Spot from 123bikes and I'm very pleased with it. The final price was below your beyondbikes quote, but I didn't need pedals or a seat. A picture and the setup is in the sticky 5 spot database thread. Talk to Mike if you contact them. I have also heard great things about mtn high cyclery and hammerhead.

Like the others have said, don't skimp on the wheels. I got a Mavic 717/CK wheelset which I highly recommend. If you need to service them, it's easier than the crossmax wheels and lighter too. I don't see much of a difference between the X.9 derailer and the X0, so that will save you a bit too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd definitely go with the X9 or X0 rear derailleur. I think the X9 is a much better buy though. I recently ditched my XTR/XT set up and have had no regrets. I like the adjustable travel feature of the Talus fork. I have an RL. Sometimes lowering the front end is the difference between climbing a steep section of trail and walking it. I have a pair of Crossmax SLs and am very happy with them. (I don't do drop offs much over 2 ft.) For pedals I like the Speedplay Frogs. They're light weight and have a lot of float. I went with the Fox AVA Propedal for the rear shock. My bike (size lg) weighs about 27lbs.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Spot build

I'd stay away from plastic anything on a 5 inch bike. The bars are more apt to brake and save less than a 1/4 pound and when they do brake you get judo flipped onto whatever rockpile caused it to brake. The posts slip in the seat tube and even the guys at Mountain bike fiction have broken 2 of them. Can't go wrong with King hubs. I have XO on my Spot and X7 with triggers on my Fly and theres not a ton of difference in performance. I switched to a Manitou 3 way air in back to reduce weight by a pound and it's been totally reliable and plush for 4 + months. I've had nothing but good results with Sram cassets and chains and nothing but bad results with Shimano. Of all the riders I know only 2 of us have bent cassets so it's not that common but I've bent 4 XTR cassets and the local mechanic bet me XT would servive and he lost.... three times before I went to Sram. My buddy with the same problem bent 3 XTR before going to Sram and solving the issue. They all bent outward so it's some kind of a chainsuck issue. Besides there lighter than XT and waaaaay cheeper than XTR. However you decide to build it have fun.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
tscheezy said:
You are right in that everyone has their pet brake. If you are a disc newbie, Hayes are probably the most trouble free and all-around consistent next to Avid mechanicals. If you see a lot of wet conditions, I'd personally stay away from Hopes. Otherwise all the top manufacturers have good products. I'm a Juicy whore myself (hmmm... that didn't come out sounding quite right...).
.....definitely more on track with this comment. With Hopes it does come down to whether or not you are an able wrench (set-up is a major factor in performance here). I have been riding hydraulic brakes from EVERY manufacturer from nearly their inception. The Hopes are easily my preference...however, that said, in the 8 months I have owned the Mono MINI'S I have had to remove the pads (just recently) and remove the glaze that had formed (mucho wet riding here). The Hope Pads seem to be the weak point from my observation...the can easily be run squawk-free by keeping them glaze free (at least in my situation that appears to be the case). I agree the Hayes are pretty much the most forgiving (upper end models).....many rave over the avids, but I just couldn't seem to get over the touchy-grabby feel...so they got dumped;)

Personally, I think the M4 is a great fit for the Spot, if I had to do it again, it would be my choice.

Maguras do have a cheap feeling lever, but the overall feel & performance is quite good.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
jncarpenter said:
..many rave over the avids, but I just couldn't seem to get over the touchy-grabby feel...so they got dumped;)
I fell the same way about the Avids....way too grabby for me!!

So many upgrades I would like to do to my Spot...Brakes would be one of them! But I think for me the Mono mini's would be sufficient.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Acadian said:
But I think for me the Mono mini's would be sufficient.
...don't get me wrong, the Mono Mini's are sufficient......just that the Mono M4 seems a bit more power & smoother modulation!;)

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Brakes? I'm way curious...

tscheezy said:
...You are right in that everyone has their pet brake. If you are a disc newbie, Hayes are probably the most trouble free and all-around consistent next to Avid mechanicals. If you see a lot of wet conditions, I'd personally stay away from Hopes. Otherwise all the top manufacturers have good products. I'm a Juicy whore myself (hmmm... that didn't come out sounding quite right...).
I've been reading the various brake threads here and can't help but wonder why no one seems interested in the XT or XTR setups?

I have very limited experience with hydros, and even with disks for that matter. I'm running the XTRs 8" front 6" rear and wonder, what am I missing? They seem light enough, and beautifuly powerful while maintining excelent modulation (from my limited perspective)... they don't squeak, I'm still on my first set of pads (1yr) bleeding is simple, even for a hack like me, and the mineral oil is easy to work with. Do they have problems? yes they're prone to drag just a bit. You can hear a slight rub, but it dosen't seem to slow my wheel rotation compared to when the pads are out. (same amt of spin w&w/o pads)

So I'm not shilling for the big-S I'm just wondering what the others do that these don't?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Bikezilla said:
I've been reading the various brake threads here and can't help but wonder why no one seems interested in the XT or XTR setups?

I have very limited experience with hydros, and even with disks for that matter. I'm running the XTRs 8" front 6" rear and wonder, what am I missing?

So I'm not shilling for the big-S I'm just wondering what the others do that these don't?
Is there any other component on a bike that is more vehemently debated now a days than disk brakes? Forks maybe. Wouldn't it be nice to have the time, wrenching skills, and money available to dial-in and run each brake through it's paces?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Bikezilla said:

I have very limited experience with hydros, and even with disks for that matter. I'm running the XTRs 8" front 6" rear and wonder, what am I missing? They seem light enough, and beautifuly powerful while maintining excelent modulation (from my limited perspective)... they don't squeak, I'm still on my first set of pads (1yr) bleeding is simple, even for a hack like me, and the mineral oil is easy to work with. Do they have problems? yes they're prone to drag just a bit. You can hear a slight rub, but it dosen't seem to slow my wheel rotation compared to when the pads are out. (same amt of spin w&w/o pads)

I ride with a couple guys with 04' XT brakes and the biggest thing I notice compared to my Hayes is how "grabby" they are. It takes much less brake lever force to lock-up the wheel, but I don't notice additional power when I really grab the lever. My Hayes come on strong the harder I squeeze, so I think it has better modulation. I would say they are equal as far as braking power.

When I say grabby, it feels that way because I'm used to my Hayes, I'm sure they don't feel grabby when you get used to them. Also, the XT guys think my Hayes are weaker because they are used to grabbing their levers with less force and don't know they(Hayes) get stronger the harder you grab them. I think the modulation gives you more control on looser or technical terrain where lockup is bayad-mkay.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
rroeder said:
I ride with a couple guys with 04' XT brakes and the biggest thing I notice compared to my Hayes is how "grabby" they are. It takes much less brake lever force to lock-up the wheel, but I don't notice additional power when I really grab the lever. My Hayes come on strong the harder I squeeze, so I think it has better modulation. I would say they are equal as far as braking power.
Heh, that's funny b/c testing my buddies mono-minis they felt super grabby (and strong as isht) compared to my XTRs but that was a brand-new setup in the parkinglot after a ride. My pads have a year on them. But honestly they never felt particularly grabby, but absolutely proportional to lever input. Of course individual setup has everything to do with it.

CrashD, If I had the time to set and test all those brakes I'd have to have some real life issues.:D

BTW speaking of life issues, anyone following the NJ Gov thingy? I feel inspired... oh so inspired..I, I, I, I have to come out too!

My name is Bikezilla, and I'm a Gay-Red bike riding monster Turner Homer! I hope my wife will understand.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts