Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was discussed last on the NorCal forum in late 2007. I was wondering if anyone has one locally and can report on it.

www.findmespot.com

SPOT. THE WORLD'S FIRST SATELLITE MESSENGER.

With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your loved ones have peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location - with a link to Google Maps™ - and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world - even where cell phones don't.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know about the bay area but some friends of mine took their spot camping this weekend and sent a couple check in messages to us, one of them being from 9480ft in the high sierra. It seemed to work pretty well from there. :thumbsup:
They have it setup so they can send a message which starts a new post on the message board we are on, letting those of us on our computers know how they are doing. :cool:

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
pappaf2 said:
one of them being from 9480ft in the high sierra. It seemed to work pretty well from there. :thumbsup:
:
Uh, sorry, but aren't SATELLITES in SPACE???? wouldn't being at 9500 ft with line of sight to the sky be a sorta no brainer? A Garmin 305 would work fine in those conditions.

what really needs to be known is will it track in the depths of Tenaya Canyon, or any other of the hundreds of box canyons of the Eastern Sierra.

I know my Garmin GPSMap 60csx works in the "underworld" in Castle Rock SP, and under dense canopied canyons in Big Sur..... What I want to know is will the Spot work there? or how about in Whiteout conditions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
MtnBikerDan said:
Uh, sorry, but aren't SATELLITES in SPACE???? wouldn't being at 9500 ft with line of sight to the sky be a sorta no brainer? A Garmin 305 would work fine in those conditions.

what really needs to be known is will it track in the depths of Tenaya Canyon, or any other of the hundreds of box canyons of the Eastern Sierra.

I know my Garmin GPSMap 60csx works in the "underworld" in Castle Rock SP, and under dense canopied canyons in Big Sur..... What I want to know is will the Spot work there? or how about in Whiteout conditions?
Well thats all the experiance I have with it, which apparently is more you you do. :p

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
Spot uses Globalstar network

I'm a bit apprehensive about the Globalstar network, their satphones are sketchy in the the boonies of the High Sierra and Rockies in my experience with them staffing for expedition Adventure races.....

I'd want to query their customer service for resolution details.

When I went the their website and saw it was based on the Globalstar network, this device sank to the bottom of my list. I'll need to find out what network and GPS chipset they use for the device.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MtnBikerDan said:

Anyway on to the tech, I don't really know the specs on the GPS you are using but the big thing with the SPOT is you can send messages to the outside world. You can check in and let people know you are ok, or if you have mechanical trouble, or in serious trouble, etc. ;) Can you do that with a normal GPS? :confused:

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
well if you're in the boonies with a broken leg in the bottom of a box canyon or watershed and there's no reception; the device is worthless......whats the point? The only way I'd buy one of these things for wilderness trips is if it's rock solid reception like my 60csx sirfstar III chipset.

Otherwise the equivalent weight would be better served as food, or just not be carried to save the calories of hauling it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MtnBikerDan said:
well if you're in the boonies with a broken leg in the bottom of a box canyon or watershed and there's no reception; the device is worthless......whats the point? The only way I'd buy one of these things for wilderness trips is if it's rock solid reception like my 60csx sirfstar III chipset.

Otherwise the equivalent weight would be better served as food, or just not be carried to save the calories of hauling it.
Well I guess that would be a problem. As more people use the SPOT and report back we'll get a better idea on how they work. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had a SPOT since they came out last year. Mine works just fine. It sends out OK messages whenever I ask it to. It can take up to 15-20 min for it to send if you're moving (I use it mainly when snowmobiling), but it works well.

I used to have a Globalstar satellite phone and I cancelled it because it basically stopped being able to ever lock onto a satellite a couple of years ago. Everything I've heard about the SPOT is that it uses a different system, which is why it works when their phones don't.

Rob

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would assume that a search and rescue operation would start looking for you at your last spot signal (just before box canyon).

MtnBikerDan said:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Spotty At Best (bad pun intended...)

I bought the Spot unit because I ride alone most of the time, both road and mountain. If it wasn't for those damm tree's, it's the perfect setup. Sends email to my wife when I start. She can follow me on Google maps if needed. I could send an OK or 911 message at any time. Unfortunately, it really hit and miss on the signal. On a three hour road ride, I'm lucky to get 4 or 5 plots. At Skeggs and the Demo, forget it. That said. I don't regret
the purchase and will renew the subscription. It still worth having in the event of a crash in an area with no cell coverage, and I'm still able to scramble to a clearing. It's better than nothing at all. Also, my in-laws live in the sierra's, so the kids carry it with them when they head out back into the woods. Their gonna wander, no matter what you tell them. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NOJ said:
I bought the Spot unit because I ride alone most of the time, both road and mountain. If it wasn't for those damm tree's, it's the perfect setup. Sends email to my wife when I start. She can follow me on Google maps if needed. I could send an OK or 911 message at any time. Unfortunately, it really hit and miss on the signal. On a three hour road ride, I'm lucky to get 4 or 5 plots. At Skeggs and the Demo, forget it. That said. I don't regret
the purchase and will renew the subscription. It still worth having in the event of a crash in an area with no cell coverage, and I'm still able to scramble to a clearing. It's better than nothing at all. Also, my in-laws live in the sierra's, so the kids carry it with them when they head out back into the woods. Their gonna wander, no matter what you tell them. :)
Thanks for the update.

I think for Skegg's or Demo (or local rides), the best is to let someone know where you'll be riding and what time they should start to worry if you not back / haven't heard back from you. Then at the trail head, I leave a map on the dash of the car with the trails I will be riding on marked (with a red pen). This way, if there is a search party they will have a good starting point. The downside is that you have to stick to your plan for it to work.

I was looking at the Spot for my riding in France where it will be a lot more exploration (not knowing the local trails). Since I am leaving this Sunday, it's probably too late to do get Spot.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My new neighbor it turns out works for SPOT. He gave me a free unit and one year of free service! (Now I gotta hook him up with a sweet bike discount!)

I will be trying the SPOT tomorrow on the Coe Rock Ridge ride.

Have others had any positive/negative experiences with the SPOT?

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
My search found this old thread. I just wanted to add a link to a newer thread here.

In sum the new SPOT 2 Messenger work extremely well, finding GPS and sending the message in seconds, even in foliage.

Also, Ranger Cameron of Henry Coe said the SPOT saved two people at Henry Coe in the last two years. No hassle search. He went right to them. He loves to see visitors using the SPOT. See more on the other thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.