Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have bought the belt drive version...

I want to race in SS class this year and I am thinking about converting my 1x9 to a single speed and I have found a few options out there. I am wondering what is the best way to do this taking into account price, weight and easiness of conversion. Going to the belt drive probably isn't an option at this point, so I am thinking chain drive with tensioner. I have Paul components on my CX bike, so I am thinking maybe getting a Melvin. My bike has disk brakes, will this be a problem?

Any advise (even if it's get a new bike) is appreciated.
t

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Rennen Rollenlagers or similar designs from Misfit Psycles and others work and are cheap. The key is to get a tensioner that pushs the chain around the cog instead of pulling the chain away.
Over two years use on the wife's SS (a converted Jamis Dragon) with, literally, not one dropped chain.
I really recommend this option.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
rasse1977 said:
Because then you won't have to mess with overpriced hubs & freewheels, or a tensioner.

Push-up tensioners work OK, I use one on the dingle. But IMO, for a nice bike, I'd rather leave it geared than cobble it up just to run it as a single-speed - which is why my WTB still has gears.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I crashed my Longboard 9 and really boogered up the drop out. I didn't think it would ever work correctly with gears by bending it back so i bought a Origin8 conversion on ebay for $32.00 & a chain from my LBS. I think the whole conversion cost me about $55. I know they are not the best parts but I really just wanted to see if I'd like riding a SS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.