Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete said:
The search function is good for this kind of question.

The forks work well. I wouldn't go back.
Not that good in this case. I read about 4hrs worth before posting and another 1hr rereading. There seems to be 3-4 owners, 1-2 waiting for forks. The threads seem to be about stiction, clamp, stem size, bar height and flat or riser...

·
Registered
70 Posts
DUC is great on Spot

I have run a Talas RLC, Vanilla 125, and now the Maverick DUC32 on my medium spot. The Talas was good, the Vanilla was really good, and the DUC is great. The performance of the Maverick will blow you away. Just get it. Ride height is not much different the Fox's assuming you run the low crown without spacers. The fork is really stiff, super plush, un-naturally light, and beautiful to look at. When it was brand new the rebound seemed real fast and it also made audible squishing sounds, but all has settled down after break in. Now it just WORKS.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Awesome

Not much else to say really.

If you wan't 6 inches and a smooth ride, and have money to through around on bikes, you can't lose.

I switched from a Talus RL, and although the fork itself is lighter, the crown stem combo, hub and new rim make it overall a bit heavier then my old set up. Getting it rigged was kind of a pain in the ass. But it's worth it.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What stem length are you running on your Med size frames? Did you come from a ~110mm stem on the last fork?

Thanks for the great replies. You guys are on the bleeding edge here...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a 100mm Thompson, and that is a 90mm Maverick. The feel is definately different, higher front end, shorter cockpit, more upright....but it's good, took me a ride, and now I think I like it better, plus if I dial down the Mav it feels like the Talus again only stiffer.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Been running mine for a few months now, it's sweet. I will not be riding anything else any time soon. The Spot/Mav combo is truly the way to go. I am amazed at how it just eats up everything in front of me.

Went from a Vanilla, this fork is light years ahead of it. Its so much smoother, that may be a product of running it with so much sag and whatnot. Stem-wise, I went from a 120 to the 90 and its been a nice switch. The Spot seems to work well with shorter stems.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just do it

It's the cat's ass. No complaints and I've run a Z1FR, Firefly and Z150 in the last year. My poor Heckler with the Z150 hangs on the ceiling - and that is a great ride.

·
Registered
511 Posts
rensho said:
What stem length are you running on your Med size frames? Did you come from a ~110mm stem on the last fork?

Thanks for the great replies. You guys are on the bleeding edge here...
reshno, I forgot to mention, if you have a medium frame, be sure to get the "Low" size upper crown.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Low crown pic

Lambone said:
reshno, I forgot to mention, if you have a medium frame, be sure to get the "Low" size upper crown.
This is my set up with the low crown, no spacers. The stem is 70 mm but I recently switched to the 90 which allowed me to adjust my saddle more forward on the rails. I feel totally centered over the bike now which has really improved my comfort especially when climbing (even though the front rides higher).

Attachments

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
For the first year on my spot; I ran a Fox Vanilla 125RLC, 30mm spacers, Thompson 5degree 110x25.4mm stem and Race Face Air Alloy Risers. I like an upright position; bars maybe 3-4 inches higher than my seat. This setup worked very well for me...I fact I have yet to sell the Fox Forx.

When I bought the Maverick early this year I was concerned about not getting enough height out of the limited choices of crown and stem lengths. I used the medium crown with a 10mm spacer, and the 105mm stem. Duplicated the above Fox setup very well.

I am 5'10" with a 29" inseam, so I could ride either a medium or a large frame they both felt OK. Went with the medium frame, for stand over clearance, but needed to get a little more cockpit room, hence the longer stem.

My experience with the Maverick setup. I need to switch to an 8" rotor because of a clearance problem between the spokes and my Hayes caliper. No problem finding a new mounting bracket and major improvement in braking...major! Needed to zip tie and reroute the brake line up the back of the fork, bypassing upper routing eyelet. Brake line was rubbing tire (2.5 WTB Weirwolf Race) when fork compressed. Had a slow leak in the air chamber, would hold air overnight, but would loose 10-15 lbs during a long ride. Frank at Maverick asked no questions and set one to me same day.

Is the Maverick a better fork than the Vanilla? They are both great forks with the edge going to the Maverick due to the stiffness. I am 225lbs and on steep rocky loose downhills the Fox would bounce off rocks when the Maverick climbs over them. Small bump compliance about the same. I use the Maverick's travel reduction allot when climbing... it seems to nearly lock the front out. I never used the Fox lockout.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
dstepper said:
Brake line was rubbing tire (2.5 WTB Weirwolf Race) when fork compressed.
That's a problem with the brake line being kinked or having taken a set.

When I first ran the fork I had no problems with brake line rub even when I ran a HUGE tire up front (Panaracer 2.4).

After an extended trip with the fork removed from the bike my line took a set and I needed to add a zip tie above the stock guide to prevent tire ruub, even when using a relatively narrow tire like a Weirwolf.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.