Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Sweet badge Phaty....

Did Nigel at John Atkins Cycles get you sorted out with the Hope stuff?

Raoul has asked what font I would like my head badge and bottom bracket shell engraved with.....

decisions, decisions.....

SSP

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Attachment?

I really like those custom badges and have some ideas for one for my ride. Could someone explain to me how they are attached? It looks like small screws, but I am afraid of drilling my headtube out. Is there any concern about compromising the strength of the tube. My frame is Columbus Zona tubing.

I know this sounds like a Troll post, but trust me, it is a sincere question. I just am not sure about drilling holes in my headtube!

Thanks for your input.

James

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I spoke with the maker of my (ti) frame and the maker of those badges, and they both said that it would be no big deal to drill and tap the holes necessary for attachment. I don't know the results when doing it with a thinner guage metal such as steel, but I don't think it'll be a problem. However, you should probably ask the manufacturer directly.

22 Posts
head badge attachment

Drevil said:
I spoke with the maker of my (ti) frame and the maker of those badges, and they both said that it would be no big deal to drill and tap the holes necessary for attachment. I don't know the results when doing it with a thinner guage metal such as steel, but I don't think it'll be a problem. However, you should probably ask the manufacturer directly.
I am the maker of the badges being posted on here....so I would like to offer some insight into the attachment here for everyone. I made a Celtic badge for my own titanium bike and was able to drill the head tube and tap the threads in by hand. I have very small stainless steel screws that I provide with all the badges I make. I can even provide the proper drill bit and taps if necessary.

The Vicious badge I made was attached to the Vicious frame with rivits....so drilling a steel frame doesn't seem to be a problem. IF drills their head tubes. I would be hesitant on an aluminum frame. However, they can probably be attached using some sort of epoxy. If I know the badge will be glued, I can make it thinner and lighter for that application.

I even made a badge for someone with a Seven- he sent me the Seven badge and I drilled the holes in the new custom badge so that he could use the same screws and holes already tapped in his frame.

Hope this helps......feel free to email or call with any questions. My website has more photos of other custom badges. www.jen-green.com 215-266-4878 [email protected]

thanks!
-Jen

Attachments

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
tap away

jen made me a killer head badge for my ti frame. i found that i was unable to locate a #1 tap and drill bit (should have contacted jen). i ended up enlarging the holes and using a #3 tap and bit and had no problems. just remember to oil (lightweight oil) the tap and go very slowly if tap ti as the smaller taps will easily break if you force the issue. I got #3 ss button head screws from a local computer manufacturer but you can also find them in trophy/award shops.

22 Posts
head badge

32x18 said:
jen made me a killer head badge for my ti frame. i found that i was unable to locate a #1 tap and drill bit (should have contacted jen). i ended up enlarging the holes and using a #3 tap and bit and had no problems. just remember to oil (lightweight oil) the tap and go very slowly if tap ti as the smaller taps will easily break if you force the issue. I got #3 ss button head screws from a local computer manufacturer but you can also find them in trophy/award shops.

hey- Jen Green here...have you got a photo of the badge mounted on your bike? I'd love to see it!

thanks!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Revolution Cycle Jewelry said:
hey- Jen Green here...have you got a photo of the badge mounted on your bike? I'd love to see it!

thanks!
I get my head badges done in cast pewter. You can see pics of them in the gallery http://www.thylacinecycles.com/gallery

Jen, you must hand cut those badges you do, right? That must be hellishly time consuming and expensive. Whats the average cost of one of your creations?

Also, a quick note on fixing the badges to frames. I started off screwing mine on, then I riveted them on, and now, I just mock up the rivets and use this incredible double sided foam tape that 3M makes that's specifically designed to stick badges onto painted surfaces. It's totally bombproof and much easier than trying to tap a .8mm head tube. I know it's not as 'authentic' or whatever that's supposed to mean, but it's a practical solution that works and works well. If you never want to take the badge off, it's definitely a viable option.

As for drilling holes in the front of your head tube, that's fine. There's almost no loading there so feel free if your game. Don't forget that on a lot of frames, there's not much space between the inner wall of the head tube and the fork steerer, so keep an eye on that.

22 Posts
Yeah- they are all cut by hand and soldered together. I'm pretty quick with the cutting but if there are lots of cuts, then it takes a lot longer because every cut needs to be drilled first to get the blade in there. The blades are about .2mm thick- very very thin.....and tend to break quite a bit! Some of the more complex ones take about 5 hours...the simpler ones not so much.

The 3M tape is a great idea....I was wondering if there was an alterative- that sounds perfect. A lot of guys really don't want to be drilling their custom ti rides!

Prices for the badges vary by complexity- anywhere from $65 up to $140 (most expensive one so far) It all depends on the amount of work involved.

Hope this is helpful.....

thanks!
-Jen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.