Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I took one for a lap around the race course plus a few of my favorite trails at the Bar H Bash and liked it a lot. Didn't notice anything bad about the belt drive and the dropouts had a long range of adjustment for gear changes. I didn't care for the Manitou Minute fork, but the Spot reps got first and second in the single speed class the next day, so what do I know? Oh yeah, one of them was a chick and she stomped nearly everyone in the men's division!

·
Premium Member
10,916 Posts
I checked them out at the Golden Bike Shop a few weeks back, very nice! They beefed up the drivetrain from last year's demos, a definite quality build, Taiwan made frame notwithstanding. For under $2000, it's a sweet ride. Custom frame is $1200 without fork.

Got an old beater steel frame that would love the conversion
In terms of doing a retrofit, it is not an inexpensive trick, what with buying the drivetrain, buying the dropouts, then having them installed. I'd consider a retrofit if I had a custom geared frame that I wanted to use as an SS, esp an older Ti frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was lucky enough to test ride the Spot at Interbike, I liked it a lot and it did ride smooth. the only things I didn't like was once the belt gets dirty it makes a creaking noise that won't go away till you clean it. the only other concern is if you get that long shot chance of cutting the belt it's a walk home unless you have an extra one.

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
Beer&Bikes said:
...the only things I didn't like was once the belt gets dirty it makes a creaking noise that won't go away till you clean it.
Creaking is said to have been caused by the side plates on the rings. There's one on the outside of the "chainring" and the inside of the "cog" to keep the belt from churning its way off. It's been said that a better alignment of the "beltline" eliminates this problem.

Anyone seen one of the new Taiwan bikes show up recently? Supposed to be a batch arriving any time.

--Greg

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Beer&Bikes said:
the only things I didn't like was once the belt gets dirty it makes a creaking noise that won't go away till you clean it.
The Spot guys told me all you have to do is spray it with your water bottle while your pedaling and it more than likely go away.

I am having a custom frame being built as we speak and will post up reviews and feedback once I get a chance to ride it, to bad I'm about 4 months out on the frame:madman:

·
Registered
127 Posts
KonaEnduroJC said:
anyone seen any belts break?
Sure did. A buddy of mine was climbing Belcher at White Ranch on the Colorado FR and snapped one. We were demoing the bikes from the shop in Golden and they didn't get his chain line perfect when they set up the bike. When the belt came off he rolled it back on, evidently that's the wrong thing to do. He broke the carbon fiber strands by rolling it on and when he started mashing it just couldn't handle it. Luckily it was all downhill on the way back, or it would have been a long walk...............for him.

Mine performed fine as far as I could tell. I hated the bike setup so much I couldn't really focus on the drive train though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.