Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i have a spot rear hub on my bike and a surly as a backup. my spot is slightly chunky in the bearings. i am planning on riding until it fails. will it cause any damage to the whole hub assembly when the bearings fail? where can i find good enduro (skf?) bearings for this hub? my surly hub is fine but i figure i should get some back-ups while i'm at it

thanks in advance!
-jason

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't think it will cause any damage to the hub or axle, but why not go ahead and replace them, bearings are cheap. The ones that came in my Spot rear hub failed in about 6 months time, I replaced them with a set I got at my LBS (it's a common size), that was years ago.

Here is the bearing number I think I used - koyo 60012rsc3.

Here are some notes I found on the web way back when I did my replacement, hopefully they will help you:

"The problem that you are having is very easily fixed. What happens is that when the hub is in your hands and you spin it, everything is great but as you tighten the bolts down on the hub, it is slightly stretching the axle and the bearings are getting side loaded from the end caps.

There are 2 things that you should do depending on how much you want to do on your bike right now. I will give you the info and then you decide how much you want to do;

1. I would recommend removing the bearings and putting a good amount of grease on the axle and in the bearing seat prior to putting new bearings on. This will allow the bearings to seat themselves more effectively on the axle/bearing seat.

To remove the bearings, remove one end cap completely, put the bolt back into the axle on the side that the end cap is off (install bolt 1/2 - 3/4 of the way into the axle), and drive the axle out of the hub shell via a mallet on the head of that bolt. This will drive the axle and end cap out of the hub shell. To remove the other bearing, all you need to do is push it out of the hub shell via a drift through the internal of the hub.

Hold the axle in an axle vise and you can remove that other end cap and then drive the bearing off of the axle.

2. reinstall time - liberal amounts of white lithium grease and you can install one bearing onto the axle, and one bearing into the hub shell.

You can now install axle/bearing into hub/bearing center the axle (yes, it does have a small amount of float between the bearings).

3. Install end caps and serrated washers. When installing end caps, thread them on until they contact the bearings and back them off by 1/3 of a turn. Install wheel into bike and spin. Remove wheel and give both bolt heads a good smackwith the mallet and reinstall.

4. The wheel should be running very smoothly in the bike.

5. Check overall width of the axle assembly. It should be 135 +.5/-0

Does this make sense? If you don't want to replace the bearings right now, go to #3 and follow those directions and everything should be fine."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts