Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my RP3 yesterday and mounted it upside down with the 'controls' toward the front. Can it be mounted rightside up with the controls rearward? I looks like the lever might hit the rocker.....
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Rp3

Spongebob said:
Got my RP3 yesterday and mounted it upside down with the 'controls' toward the front. Can it be mounted rightside up with the controls rearward? I looks like the lever might hit the rocker.....
Yes it can, if the production version is the same as my prototype. On mine, the lever throw stops just shy of hitting the rockers. So if the lever throw stops at the same position on yours then you will be fine.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
DGC said:
Yes it can, if the production version is the same as my prototype. On mine, the lever throw stops just shy of hitting the rockers. So if the lever throw stops at the same position on yours then you will be fine.
Can't you just rotate the lower shaft 180 degrees like on the old floats?

BTW, thanks again for the Sayles/Bryan hookup. We rode it again about a month ago and instead of dropping immediately down Bryan after the perfect cycling trail we continued on and on to an overlook above HWY 88 before retracing our tracks back to Bryan. A gorgeous area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
Ditto...

...you should be able to remove it and grab a fistful each of damper body and shaft and rotate around. The only clearance issue with the controls facing forward and up top might be the air cap not clearing the forward portion of the rocker?

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
yes indeed

Pete said:
Can't you just rotate the lower shaft 180 degrees like on the old floats?

BTW, thanks again for the Sayles/Bryan hookup. We rode it again about a month ago and instead of dropping immediately down Bryan after the perfect cycling trail we continued on and on to an overlook above HWY 88 before retracing our tracks back to Bryan. A gorgeous area.
The problem is the air valve will hit the rockers if you attempt to mount the shock with the controls upright but with the compression adjuster/rebound adjuster forward. The air valve, even with th cap off, will hit the rocker before you get the shock bolt through the eyelets. It would likely bend or break it. that is according to the fit of my prototype. I dont think the production one would have changed that.
Yes that area is real nice, rugged. I dont know if you ever saw this picture, but the bike against the tree, that is a section of trail in Sayles Canyon, the other one is the lower stair step area I shot just last week, came out interesting with black outline of me riding.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tried it, one side OK, the other......

DGC said:
Yes it can, if the production version is the same as my prototype. On mine, the lever throw stops just shy of hitting the rockers. So if the lever throw stops at the same position on yours then you will be fine.
DGC......thanks. As you can see by the pics, one side has a hair of space, whereas the other side, nada. But its not restricting it, its just virtually at the stop spot. So when I mount the bike, there's space. Thanks

And correct, the air cap comes into contact with the rockers before you can align the through bolt.......

Gee, I wonder if I loosen that set screw, if there's any wiggle room.........?
I guess its just a question of where its easier to reach down to, in back of the front of the rockers, or down by the BB.....watch your fingers!
SB
 

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Mine is in the mail from Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com. He is on vacation in Hawaii for a couple weeks though...

That's a shame about the limited mounting options, but then it seems like we just need to be thankful that anything from Fox fits a bike these days...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Put on a new decal.

Looks like the invert way has the best fit. Why not just pull off the sticker and ask fox for a new set you can apply, so it looks upwright. Or be creative with your own look of decals! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not that I'm cheap......

LMays said:
Looks like the invert way has the best fit. Why not just pull off the sticker and ask fox for a new set you can apply, so it looks upwright. Or be creative with your own look of decals! :D
I called them yesterday and first, they didn't know which of 2 decals the right one was, they had no part number, and then he had no price, would charge me a few bucks plus 5 dollars shipping. I decided to wait.......maybe try the hair dryer and peal method. You'd think it would be just good marketing to have everyone with right side up labels, so everyone would recognize it as new and ask 'how's that new RP3'......

I've ridden it now with it in the upright position and I think its better for being able to reach down there as compared to down by the BB IMO.

I got mine from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery too.

adios...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
DGC said:
Yes that area is real nice, rugged. I dont know if you ever saw this picture, but the bike against the tree, that is a section of trail in Sayles Canyon, the other one is the lower stair step area I shot just last week, came out interesting with black outline of me riding.
Nope, I missed those but I recognize the locations.

It was much different than last fall because the wildflowers were just exploding at elevation.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Spongebob said:
I called them yesterday and first, they didn't know which of 2 decals the right one was, they had no part number, and then he had no price, would charge me a few bucks plus 5 dollars shipping. I decided to wait.......maybe try the hair dryer and peal method. You'd think it would be just good marketing to have everyone with right side up labels, so everyone would recognize it as new and ask 'how's that new RP3'......

I've ridden it now with it in the upright position and I think its better for being able to reach down there as compared to down by the BB IMO.

I got mine from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery too.

adios...
I always thought just the Fox head logo would look clean, and you can get them in just about any color from your local moto-shop for maybe $00.50.
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
whoa

Dudes, :D
Just to clarify.... the RP3 mounted upright with the switch between and behind the front rockers has had ZERO problems? the lever isn't being hit by the rockers when riding? Is reaching down while riding and flicking the switch between the rockers a pain in the ? In other words is the RP3 with the 5 spot a GO? I just want to make sure all is well with this new shock before I throw down the cash! thanks bros.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
yes its a go

SMOKEY said:
Dudes, :D
Just to clarify.... the RP3 mounted upright with the switch between and behind the front rockers has had ZERO problems? the lever isn't being hit by the rockers when riding? Is reaching down while riding and flicking the switch between the rockers a pain in the ? In other words is the RP3 with the 5 spot a GO? I just want to make sure all is well with this new shock before I throw down the cash! thanks bros.
Here is your prefered mounting position.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its OK

SMOKEY said:
Dudes, :D
Just to clarify.... the RP3 mounted upright with the switch between and behind the front rockers has had ZERO problems? the lever isn't being hit by the rockers when riding? Is reaching down while riding and flicking the switch between the rockers a pain in the ? In other words is the RP3 with the 5 spot a GO? I just want to make sure all is well with this new shock before I throw down the cash! thanks bros.
Dude,
Have had 2 rides, on the RP3 so far (until my rear hub died). Ride a mix of rock gardens, smooth and also rocky and gravely single track. I don't jump anything at all, except a very occaisional 1 footer (wow). But lots of rocky technicall, and slow decents and climbs....... This is my feelings about it ....its not too easy reaching down there, but you won't do it too much anyway. I do it about 3-4 a ride, and its ok to do, not easy, but not hard. Its a light touch, so with full finger gloves, sometimes its hard to feel, so you have to look down, which can make you throw off your balance, depending what the terrain is like. It rides plush when you need it to, like the Romic, but where I notice its benefit, is the pick up and go feeling when pedaling out of something. If you hammer out of the saddle, it won't hold the platform, but in the saddle, where I do most of that type of riding, its great. I'm very pleased with the purchase. Good luck
SB
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
whoa

Swwweeeeett!
Can't wait! gonna order that bad boy asap! I hope it holds up to my 260 pounds of latino beef!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd check

SMOKEY said:
Swwweeeeett!
Can't wait! gonna order that bad boy asap! I hope it holds up to my 260 pounds of latino beef!
Smokey,
I'd call Fox (and probably Turner, too) first before ordering just to make sure that 260 is not close to its max out range. :confused: Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
flip the PP lever?

DGC said:
Here is your prefered mounting position.
It looks like you might be able to remove the PP lever and put it pointing upwards for better access. If the set screw hits a flat on the shaft you might be able to file another flat 180 degrees opposed. It seems if the lever was pointing up You would have much better access to it.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top