Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am running my spot(2007) with pike (air 454) 2008 for last 6 monthes.

I have a good deal on Talas 36 RC2 150mm from the old version.

What are the differences except of the AC hight( at 140mm pike with 517 , talas with 525)?

How about the reliabilty of the fox?stiff?plush? Vs. the pike?

thx

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,443 Posts
A friend of mine just made this swap (although in the other direction). The Pike dropped his bars 1” on the dot.

Those first gen 36s aren’t very reliable at all.

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Just installed a new Fox 36 Talas RC2 on my 2007 (5.3) SPOT. I've just completed my 5th ride. This fork seems to be just the ticket! In the 130mm position, riding twisting XC-ish local trails, it feels great, so far. I can't wait to ride the big mountains with it!

Go on - try the FOX. If you don't like it, put your PIKE back on and sell the FOX.
What have you got to loose?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Iceman69 said:
Cucu what is the Axle to crown height with that fork at full travel? Thx
548mm a2c at 160mm of travel, which puts the a2c length at 130mm 518mm (identical to the Pike but with ten fewer mm of travel). The other difference is about 1lb in weight.

To the OP: there is a huge difference in damping quality between the '08 and newer Fox 36 Talas and older ones. I would stay away from the older 150mm 36s (other than Van).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cucucachu, just like nybike said - there's a hell of a difference between 05-07 Fox 36 and 08 that You have installed.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
The Spot/36 is a great combo, been running one for the last few weeks and its been great. The extra travel and the adjustable travel is really handy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx for your answers

What are the main changes between the new and the old version (150)?

thx

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
serhij said:
Cucucachu, just like nybike said - there's a hell of a difference between 05-07 Fox 36 and 08 that You have installed.
I don't disagree. But it sounds like spr wants to upgrade on a budget. Thats why I proposed to give it try. Experience and knowledge is very powerful!

Spr - I read the difference between the '08 and earlier Fox 36 is night and day.

I replaced my old Marzoochi because I wanted the same travel when at home, but the option to extend the travel (and a-c) when things get steep and fast. This old Marzocchi was the best fork ever!

Oh, and how do you like the new color I painted my house?

Attachments

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
One other thing to the OP, might want to think about some 5.5 rockers or scraping up some Push rockers to balance the F&R a little better with the longer fork up front.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've just put a set of Z1 Lights onto my 05 Spot with Push rockers. Unfortunately the forks' air preload leaks due to the UK importers not doing a service properly so I've yet to try it but very excited about how it might ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts