Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
Hey all recenting i deirect a fellow Aussie to a shop here with a Spot 29er, I have been eyeing this off for a while now but have hesitated due to it being only a 17 inch frame. As I'm just under six foot tall I'm a little weary.

I currently ride a 17inch on-one inbred and have been waiting to hear about the on-one 29er butnothing has been heard from Brant on this in months now so who know what is happening on that front. The main thing is i also have a 19 inch inbred I use on the road as a commuter (mind you with cable disc a drop bars, is a sweet racer too used it for 2nd place in the Clydesdale catagory last weekend), and this feels a lot more comfortable on the dirt than have felt on the 17.

Basically what is the opinion on a 17 inch 29er for someone just under 6 foot, 110kgs, and a singlespeeder???????

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, effective tt length should be your main guide, and I would have thought on a 17" that's just going to be way too short for you - especially considering you're "comfortable" on a 19 with drop bars.

Sam

·
Registered
702 Posts
17v19

I've no experience with their 29 frames but I used to ride a 19" 26 SS. I'm also just under 6 foot and it was a good fit for me. It did have a longish TT so you might get away with the 17" but I would go with the 19".
Luke

·
Registered
215 Posts
spot 29er

I'm 5'6" with a 31" inseam and my 17" fits perfect.

I couldn't imagine riding a 15" so I think at 6' a 17" is a little small. Unless you have really long legs and a shoer torso and arms your going to be cramped. Michael at spot is super cool. Give him a call and he'll set you straight. www.spotbikes.com

By the way, the Spot 29er is super sweet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Michael at Spot is super cool, I'm 5'10" and I ride the 29er in a size 20, I would think the 17 spot would be too small, I would recommend contacting spot they may give you some better insight.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
spot brand sizing...

hey there,

i was looking at either the spot brand or kelly when i was goin' 29er. i chose the kelly, mainly because of sizing.

i am 6'2" with a 35" inseam. i took a look at the spot's geometry, the 19 (or large size) had a 24" effec TT (if i recall correctly). i felt that was a bit too short for me. i wanted atleast 24.5". my kelly, it's a wopping 25.5" but feels great with a 100mm stem, i was kind of anxious when i ordered a large, but ended up being very happy (in fact, if i ever go custom steel ot ti, it will have the exactly same geometry).

i'm not sure what is up with spot's website, it's been "under construction" for almost 3 months, maybe more!!! best thing to do would email them and ask for geometry for their 29er, micheal replied pretty quickly. i think i called him though.

since your 6 ft. tall, i'd say 19" (or large) is definately the way to go. 17" will me way too small.

awesome frames for the $!!!

cheers!

ozbikebuddy said:
:confused:
Hey all recenting i deirect a fellow Aussie to a shop here with a Spot 29er, I have been eyeing this off for a while now but have hesitated due to it being only a 17 inch frame. As I'm just under six foot tall I'm a little weary.

I currently ride a 17inch on-one inbred and have been waiting to hear about the on-one 29er butnothing has been heard from Brant on this in months now so who know what is happening on that front. The main thing is i also have a 19 inch inbred I use on the road as a commuter (mind you with cable disc a drop bars, is a sweet racer too used it for 2nd place in the Clydesdale catagory last weekend), and this feels a lot more comfortable on the dirt than have felt on the 17.

Basically what is the opinion on a 17 inch 29er for someone just under 6 foot, 110kgs, and a singlespeeder???????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts