Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is worth mentioning to you all.

A recent mishap with a Sportworks Bike Rack, a pin braking, and a Foes Fly on the back of a Blazer at 75mph seemed like a crappy way to end a vacation. After all said and done, This company deserves some KUDOS! I'll explain.

I have a Sportworks rack and one of the options for this rack is to add a 3rd and 4th bike attachment. When you do add a 3rd or 4th bike attachment, you have to install a pivot bolt (this is how the 3rd bike attachment attaches to the existing 2 bike rack) and a pin to keep it from pivoting. All the hardware comes with the attachments. Easy peazy.

During my trip to Colorado, the 3rd bike attachment performed flawlessly....until the last 500 miles of my trek back to Chicago.

What happened was the pin and the pin keeper [somehow] broke/fell out causing the 3rd bike attachment to pivot DOWN and causing my friends poor Foes Fly to get a bit of road rash.

As luck would have it, I had a spare pin with me (extra hardware included from Sportworks) and a couple ratchet straps to get us back home.

My friend (the owner of the Foes Fly) called Sportworks and told them in detail what had happened to his bike. After all was said and done, Sportworks will cover the cost of the damage to the Foes, replace the pins with BOLTS and keep their CUSTOMER SATISFACTION rating at 5 STARS!

In closing, SPORTWORKS [suggested] that for all you owners of their racks, during a long journey (such as ours) to remove the 'pins' and replace them with BOLTS so this won't happen to you.

In my opinion, the way SPORTWORKS handled this was a GREAT ENDING to a vacation after all.

Thanks SPORTWORKS!

Sincerely,
Kirk
<img src="https://www.teamsally.com/galleries/pictures/pic938.jpg">
<img src="https://www.teamsally.com/galleries/pictures/pic939.jpg">
<img src="https://www.teamsally.com/galleries/pictures/pic940.jpg">
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
I can't figure out the reason for that pivot.

I've seen someone else's Sportworks setup similarly at one of the local trailheads. I spent a few minutes examining the pivot leading to the third bike tray and left puzzled.

You see, I have a Sportworks Mod series tray, and it has a simple tongue that inserts into the preceeding tray -- no pivots, no pins, just two bolts to hold it in place.

So please tell us, why the pivot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speed?e said:
I can't figure out the reason for that pivot.

I've seen someone else's Sportworks setup similarly at one of the local trailheads. I spent a few minutes examining the pivot leading to the third bike tray and left puzzled.

You see, I have a Sportworks Mod series tray, and it has a simple tongue that inserts into the preceeding tray -- no pivots, no pins, just two bolts to hold it in place.

So please tell us, why the pivot?
In my opinion, the pivot is there cause of Blazers like mine....the swinging spare tire. Not all SUV have them, but even tailgates, if you pull the pin, the bikes can pivot down and the tailgate opened, spare tire can swing open, yadda yadda yadda.
Seems to me anyways. I am open for suggestions.
 

·
Derailleurless
Joined
·
9,122 Posts
ieatsoap said:
In my opinion, the pivot is there cause of Blazers like mine....the swinging spare tire. Not all SUV have them, but even tailgates, if you pull the pin, the bikes can pivot down and the tailgate opened, spare tire can swing open, yadda yadda yadda.
Seems to me anyways. I am open for suggestions.
Yeah, but don't you already have that pivot back at the tongue, where it plugs into the receiver hitch? Doesn't that make two pivot locations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedüb Nate said:
Yeah, but don't you already have that pivot back at the tongue, where it plugs into the receiver hitch? Doesn't that make two pivot locations?
True that. True that.
I am not really sure. Now you got me wondering. Hmmm. :confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
oh dam the foes took a beating...

its pretty sweet that there gunna fix the damage...nice job sport works...
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
That's hilarious and...

(DISCLAIMER: This reply is not intended to be a personal attack in anyway upon the person or said persons involved in this mishap, it is only meant to point out the facts. And now with that veing said let the flaming begin)

whats even funnier is that rack you got there isn't meant to hold FR/DH bikes. It actaully has a weight limit of 30lbs per tray or 120 total for the 4 trays. The DH/FR model which can only carry 2 bikes can hold 50lbs per tray or 100lbs total. Nice of Sportworks to cover you on this little mishap and glad to hear no was seriously injured. By the looks of it the bike only got dragged?.?. Thankfully it didn't fall completely off and cause an accident(can you say lawsuit). All I can say is your [email protected] lucky and Sportworks is pretty darned understanding, cause from what I can tell Sportworks were not at fault. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
ieatsoap said:
I think this is worth mentioning to you all.

A recent mishap with a Sportworks Bike Rack, a pin braking, and a Foes Fly on the back of a Blazer at 75mph seemed like a crappy way to end a vacation. After all said and done, This company deserves some KUDOS! I'll explain.

I have a Sportworks rack and one of the options for this rack is to add a 3rd and 4th bike attachment. When you do add a 3rd or 4th bike attachment, you have to install a pivot bolt (this is how the 3rd bike attachment attaches to the existing 2 bike rack) and a pin to keep it from pivoting. All the hardware comes with the attachments. Easy peazy.

During my trip to Colorado, the 3rd bike attachment performed flawlessly....until the last 500 miles of my trek back to Chicago.

What happened was the pin and the pin keeper [somehow] broke/fell out causing the 3rd bike attachment to pivot DOWN and causing my friends poor Foes Fly to get a bit of road rash.

As luck would have it, I had a spare pin with me (extra hardware included from Sportworks) and a couple ratchet straps to get us back home.

My friend (the owner of the Foes Fly) called Sportworks and told them in detail what had happened to his bike. After all was said and done, Sportworks will cover the cost of the damage to the Foes, replace the pins with BOLTS and keep their CUSTOMER SATISFACTION rating at 5 STARS!

In closing, SPORTWORKS [suggested] that for all you owners of their racks, during a long journey (such as ours) to remove the 'pins' and replace them with BOLTS so this won't happen to you.

In my opinion, the way SPORTWORKS handled this was a GREAT ENDING to a vacation after all.

Thanks SPORTWORKS!

Sincerely,
Kirk
<img src="https://www.teamsally.com/galleries/pictures/pic938.jpg">
<img src="https://www.teamsally.com/galleries/pictures/pic939.jpg">
<img src="https://www.teamsally.com/galleries/pictures/pic940.jpg">
Sounds like a great company. I ll be buying my bike attatchments for my roofrack from them for sure.
 

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
Hey Photo-John, does this look familiar? :rolleyes:

First sorry about the mishap, but I'm really not all that surprised Sportwors took care of you like that. This is the kind of treatement I've been getting from them since day one.

Sportworks racks rock...I've used Thule, Yakima and Hollywood - and none come close to the versitality of the Sportworks. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
The pin probably fell out after a bit of rack contact with the ground broke the flimsy metal clip off. Mine did the same thing (4 bike Transport), but fortunately I noticed it before the pin came all the way out. Attaching the clip over the top of the bar instead of under it should keep this from happening.

The pivot pin is so you can fold the rack (with the 3 or 4 bike option) in half when stored or when attached to the vehicle and not in use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Sport rack custom fabricated my hitch same day because they were out of stock that is freaking amazing customer service!

If attached to a car the pivot makes it so you can fold the rack without creating a blind spot also. They're smart people.

JOSH
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top