Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I'm Idaho!
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are forums dedicated to XC training/racing as well as endurance racing. But I wanted to get an idea of what people here use in terms of sports drinks during/after riding. I tend to find that reading posts of people I'm familar with more valuable than most strangers.

So shat do people use? Eons ago, I used Gatorade when I rode. But for the past 5 years or so I used Endurox/Accelerade. Problem with Accelerade is that it makes a mess of my camelbak, so I've stopped using it this year and just use water. Water doesn't really give me much in terms of energy during my ride though. I'm considering going back to Gatorade or exploring something else.

Thoughts/comment are appreciated.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
normZurawski said:
I know there are forums dedicated to XC training/racing as well as endurance racing. But I wanted to get an idea of what people here use in terms of sports drinks during/after riding. I tend to find that reading posts of people I'm familar with more valuable than most strangers.

So shat do people use? Eons ago, I used Gatorade when I rode. But for the past 5 years or so I used Endurox/Accelerade. Problem with Accelerade is that it makes a mess of my camelbak, so I've stopped using it this year and just use water. Water doesn't really give me much in terms of energy during my ride though. I'm considering going back to Gatorade or exploring something else.

i find that what i put in my body the day or more importantly the night before a ride has a greater effect on my performance during a ride. i also try to hydrate days in advance instead of drinking so much water the day of the ride that i have to stop to pee every 15 minutes. the morning of the ride i have had good luck with coffee and some kind of starch. usually a bagel. during the ride i will occationally have a gu or two depending on the intesity of the ride. i do not use any sort of sports drink during a ride but i will sip a gatorade or similar drink on the way home after riding. just my 2 centavos.

phattie

·
Registered
573 Posts
Water is what the camelback should only see, Gatorade in a bottle for when you feel a little down. If you can't put a bottle on your bike, see the gel things, or energy bars, they should complete water well enough in terms of electrolytes/nutrients.

As Phatboy here says, the day before is quite key also. If you're going on an epic think about loading up on carbs (pasta, rice, oatmeal,...) and hydrating well the day before. Stay away from gravy/sauce/spicy stuff, it's hell on the digestive system.

Are you subject to bonking/dehydrating? If so that is something you can train for, the body is a wonder of overcompensation when it's done correctly.

After ride? Nothing like a cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale of course.

Maurice

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
normZurawski said:
I know there are forums dedicated to XC training/racing as well as ....

I used to use Cytomax in the camelbak but only a light solution (say half the recommended "dosage"). Its just to add a little taste and salts. Note that it will stain the camelbak bladder <insert color here>. Otherwise maybe a half/half mix of gatorade and water, (I actually like the gatorade in powder form, I can just keep in the car and add in a bit in when i need it) because II don't like it sickly sweet, especially as the ride goes on and on.

The more the ride lasts, the more I crave cold, straight-up water, and not sports drinks (thus the diluted mix for me). Now... if only I could find a way to keep it all cold in there.

post-ride: a Saranac Mountain Ale went down really nice after Tuesday's ride.

p.s. I find that Accelerade in a c-bak is a goopy, cloudy mess, and it clogs the bite valve. Is that stuff actually water soluable? :skep:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
on my last ride i filled the camelback with ice at my house and at the trail filled up the rest with gatorade, it was perfect. Gatorade also now has that endurance series, but i can't tell the difference.

·
I like wheelies
113 Posts
Anything other than water in the Camelbak is scary. Messy and a superb breeding ground for all sorts of nasties. I bring Accelerade in a bottle for longer/harder rides & races. The blue raspberry seems to mix more completely than the fruit punch, btw.

Recently converted to AccelGel from Gu; I carry gel and plain water on most training rides in the woods. One bottle each of water & Accelerade on the road, plus gel for rides/races of 2 hours+.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
idbrian said:
if you wash out the camelback as soon as you get home it should alright, no?
lol, i've been adding all sorts of drink mixes to my camelbak for 7 or 8 years now and i look fine, just like this: :skep:

if you're a water guy fine, if you want to add some flava, go for it... seriously, if you rinse it out after, and throw the bladder into a fridge (or better a freezer) you're fine. i tend to either soak the bladder abt once per month with bit of bleach (tblspoon into a water filled bladder), or one of the disinfecting tablets for dentures. i'm still alive. arguably. ;)

however, if you leave a partly filled bladder in a hot car for a few days, it doesn't matter if there was water or gatorade.. either way, you're gonna get sea monkeys... its only a matter of how fast they'll breed with some extra added sugar in there. :)

besides... that which does not kill you, will make you stronger.

·
pedalhead
147 Posts
I've guess I've been doing it wrong all these years then. I usually ride hungover.
I have always said that the best cure for a hangover is mountain biking in New Jersey's 93 degree heat and humidity.
See everyone on Saturday! I'll be the hungover guy sucking down his 100 ounces of water.

·
Arf, he said.
273 Posts
I like to squeeze some lemon or lime juice in the camelback, just enough to give the water some flavor. I can't stand anything stick or sweet when I'm gulping down fluids at 100 oz in just a few hours. Maybe a gatorade or something after the ride, but usually something made from yeast barley and hops.:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also use half water and half gatorade to my camelback. After the ride I usually rinse it and throw it in the freezer. I havent had any gunk stains on mine for 2 years running. post ride drink Sam Adams boston Ale or lager ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i have tried riding the night after drinking and i come to a point where i nearly pass out. i really would like to be able to do both. when i do go out i tend to smoke a few cigarettes so i can't isolate whether it is the drinking or the smoking or both that gets me this way. i could easily give up the smoking and i am going to try riding Sunday hungover without smoking anything. any hungover riding pointers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
NJ Jess taught me a cool trick for cleaning out the Camelbak bladder: Denture tablets. Don't laugh, it really works! I fill my Camelbak up with hot tap water, plop a couple of denture tablets in - they fizz away like mad - and I let it soak overnight. The Camelbak ends up smelling nice and minty fresh the next morning. No left-over residue or flavor. I think the denture tablets have a very mild bleaching agent in them to kill germs, etc. Don't start asking me about what brand of denture tablets - I just picked up the Economy size box of the "Equate" brand (Wal-mart house Brand)

·
Registered
26 Posts
idbrian said:
i have tried riding the night after drinking and i come to a point where i nearly pass out. i really would like to be able to do both. when i do go out i tend to smoke a few cigarettes so i can't isolate whether it is the drinking or the smoking or both that gets me this way. i could easily give up the smoking and i am going to try riding Sunday hungover without smoking anything. any hungover riding pointers would be appreciated.
eat a big breakfast of rice and boiled egg before the ride. If you have funny cigarretes:)) will also do the trick to kill some pain.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Ecchymosis Baby said:
Eat a big breakfast of rice and boiled egg. you can smoke some of that funny cigarrettes also to kill some of the pain
i don't get bad hangovers because i stick to beers, i just basically have half the endurance. i am going to try and eat and drink an insane amount of gatorade on my way to the ride.

funny cigs are for after the ride usually.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.