Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know the Response normally comes in base, Sport, and Comp. Dicks Sporting Goods has a Response EX version that comes with a different fork and paint job. Now I find out that Sports Authority has the same frame labeled as a Topanga, LOL. It has even cheaper components than the Response EX, and they want more for it?!? I was really surprised to see this. I know the Response was labeled as Topanga years ago before they switched the name, but this is kinda dumb to me. If they're going to carry the bike at all, why not just carry the actual bike instead of watering it down and charging more for it? Here's a couple pics I took with my phone.

·
from StL
48 Posts
That is a MASSIVE ripoff. I work at Dick's and the DB Response XE (not EX) is an average deal for about $350, but for about the same price, I actually like the set up on the regular Response more. Just a bit more gets you the much better Response Sport.

That bike is WAY marked up. (It's a hardtail right?)

If it is a full suspension, it is comparable to the Coil EX that we sell. OK bike, but heavy as heck. We sell it at $400, so that price is still WAY too high! If they tuely are spec'd the same, don't buy that! haha

I also love the fine print (we do it too):
"Orig. prices are past offerings at which sales MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN MADE" What!?! haha So, pretty much, the higher price is just made up to give the uneducated customer the illusion of saving money.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
:yesnod: :yesnod:

Don't you love retail!! MSRPs on those OEM bikes like stated above is so true

ie Response XE 500 msrp sold for 250
ie Coil EX 600 msrp sold for 350

I agree with Gothenburg, Just by the real Response Sport people :madman:

·
Lurker
192 Posts
Nah, i got the xe ($250) i got about another $150 into it bars, pedals, levers, and post. Just going to pick this shock up http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK291A04-Marzocchi+44+Tst2+Fork+09.aspx $200 so about 600 total. I'm very happy with the fact i get to fully customize it to my liking. Of course this was never my intention, i got the bike for a cheap commuter, but liked the geometry and the way it fit so much that i want to do some trail riding with it. I hope the drive train and the rims hold up though. If not i guess i can strip them off the old fisher which has far superior components.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
DavidNeiles said:
:yesnod: :yesnod:

Don't you love retail!! MSRPs on those OEM bikes like stated above is so true

ie Response XE 500 msrp sold for 250
ie Coil EX 600 msrp sold for 350

I agree with Gothenburg, Just by the real Response Sport people :madman:
$250 on an XE or $500 or w/e on a Sport.

You know you're gonna upgrade the parts on both so let's dump $500 on each model.

$750 total of the XE and $1000 on the Sport. They both have the same parts but different colored frame when it's all said and done.

Guess what?

You have an extra $250 for cloths now! :cool:

That's how I see it. PLUS you gain experience and enjoy the time spent on your bike.

It's like building a computer. You shop for quality parts but didn't pay much and you have something that is cheaper and can do the same and perform better then an Alienware PC.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Blksocks said:
Well... I was just pointing out why some get the cheaper models over the more expensive models. :p
True, but you must understand the Response Sport is a much, much better equipped bike for a $150 more dollars than the Response XE.

Or just buy the Response Comp and start off with a decent equpped fork and 9spd setup, easier to upgrade bit by bit. For most it is all you need for right off the sales floor, + the personal touches like changing tires,seat, and grips, and wont cost you a lot.~$700

On Blksocks comments early

"$250 on an XE or $500 or w/e on a Sport.

You know you're gonna upgrade the parts on both so let's dump $500 on each model.

$750 total of the XE and $1000 on the Sport. They both have the same parts but different colored frame when it's all said and done.

Guess what?

You have an extra $250 for cloths now!

That's how I see it. PLUS you gain experience and enjoy the time spent on your bike.

It's like building a computer. You shop for quality parts but didn't pay much and you have something that is cheaper and can do the same and perform better then an Alienware PC"

Really to put the 500 dollars into the two bike your going to have to spend more money to get the XE a better bike.

ie $500 for a fork and you still have a complete downgraded drivetrain and cheap bars stem etc on the XE. The Sport has a nicer 24 spd sram drivetrain and stronger crankset too. The only thing IMO worth putting money into on the sport is the fork first as well as pedals and tires, much more to do on the XE, So why not just get the Comp with better parts and spend less money than your method. Just my point of view as mentioned eariler.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
True, but you must understand the Response Sport is a much, much better equipped bike for a $150 more dollars than the Response XE.

Or just buy the Response Comp and start off with a decent equpped fork and 9spd setup, easier to upgrade bit by bit. For most it is all you need for right off the sales floor, + the personal touches like changing tires,seat, and grips, and wont cost you a lot.~$700
See, when I bought my XE I didn't see comps or sport models for $150 more dollars. I saw them for $300-$400 more. :(

So why not just get the Comp with better parts and spend less money than your method. Just my point of view as mentioned earlier.
Not everyone has the cash on hand and have to build bit by bit esp. in these times with layoffs and whatnot when money is tight. So it's still best to get a cheaper model and upgrade. I was thinking a night ago about how some parts on the Sport/Comp might not need changing BUT on the XE most of the parts don't need changing either so you could still possibly save money. Honestly, it comes down to how to shop and get what's better and yet cheaper to beat the Comp/Sport when using the XE model. I wanted to point out another thing but my mind went blank so forget that. :madman:

Both points we have discussed are excellent but it comes down to the buyer and how they intend on using the bike.

:thumbsup:

P.S.
I suck at explaining things so I hope I made some sense. :p

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Blksocks said:
See, when I bought my XE I didn't see comps or sport models for $150 more dollars. I saw them for $300-$400 more. :(
:p
well, even if you bought the XE @ 250 the sport was on cleareance for 399.97 and normal sale price was 449.99 , msrp~ 550.

The Comp is cleareanced out @ 649.97!! sold on sale normally @ ~700 msrp ~850

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like when people are selling a bike on craigslist. "i paid 410.00 for an 09 response"

Then you got ripped off. Brand new responses 2010 are going for 359.00 They are "on sale" lmao.. They never intended to sell them for over 400. Its a marketing ploy.

You can get a putty beige 09 response on overstock for 280. Thats a great deal,

I got my response for 219 plus tax. A leftover 2007 orangepeel hung around sports authority til nov 2008. What a deal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.