Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Most things like that are supplemental insurance (AFLAK) and you need primary coverage first.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I put all the pennies from my change into a jar. If I get hurt on the trail, I'll have one of my riding buddies go home and get the jar. If there's enough in it, I'll get a helicopter ride out and then I'll Google the nearest doctor that is specially equipped to handle the type of injuries that I have that day and I'll tell the pilot to drop me off at that doctor (there's usually a big target on the roof to tell the pilot where to land). There should be enough change left in the jar to pay the doctor plus any additional treatment I may need.

Insurance is a scam. No need to look up any insurance agents in your area to ask them questions you may have about insurance because they all have new boats that they are paying for so they just want your money.

Edit: pennies not penis.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I'm not sure what a MTB biker is, but there is a silent l supplemental insurance crash plan I saw recently. Forgot the name though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Medical insurance, whether nationalised, as in Canada, the U.K. or (in the case of Medicare) the U.S. covers it as does a variety of "over the counter" insurance policies. If you break a leg, it gets treated whether you fall down the stairs or off a trail. I don't remember ever being asked how I hurt myself when I've gotten treatment.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I thought sports insurance like that was to cover people who make their living via the sport so say a downhill racer or XC racer or freerider who is competing on a professional level.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
I thought sports insurance like that was to cover people who make their living via the sport so say a downhill racer or XC racer or freerider who is competing on a professional level.
They never have insurance. Haven't you seen all the GoFundMe accounts where they're asking for money because they got hurt racing and they weren't insured?

I think it's stipulated in their contracts that they are not to be insured. But the teams do supply dollar store first aid kits, so they've got that going for them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I never indicate that I engage in what is considered to be a risky sport when completing life insurance profiles. But I digress...
my friend, who is a big time road racer, was complaining a few years ago that unfit people should have to pay more for their health insurance, since they are a burden on society. couple months later, he was in surgery for his broken collarbone, broken of course, while riding. he has since broken it again.

they do ask now, how you injured yourself, to try and assess whether your injury was attributable to someones else's insurance, like the guy who hit you, the pothole that wasn't fixed, etc. they also ask if it was work related, ie workers comp should pay.

and, one reason insurance from places like USAA, AARP, GEICO etc is cheaper, is that the local agent isn't getting rich off you. you don't need to have a guy across town to take care of your claim.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how would this be any different from regular health insurance?
I think regular health insurance doesn't cover high risk activities. it covers simple dental plan, medications, massage therapy, sick holidays. My plan doesn't cover severe broken leg, spin column or lost of work days.

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
I think regular health insurance doesn't cover high risk activities. it covers simple dental plan, medications, massage therapy, sick holidays. My plan doesn't cover severe broken leg, spin column or lost of work days.
It sounds like you are talking about income protection through STD (Short Term Disability) / LTD (Long Term Disability) insurance policies. As has already been pointed out by other posters, your basic medical treatment is already provided to you at no extra cost in Canada, since you are already paying for for it through your taxes. That is true regardless of the cause of illness or injury. In Canada, a typical private insurance policy won't cover costs of the core treatment, since they expect this is provided to you already. What they may do is provide supplemental benefits such as physio and other types of rehab, vocational counselling and re-training (if you can no longer work in your previous occupation), and in the case of STD/LTD replacement of your lost income. The income protection is usually on a partial basis covering about 70% of your previous earnings (up to a stipulated maximum) so that it provides motivation to resume work, rather than simply collect the income replacement benefit indefinitely.

·
No. Just No.
5,368 Posts
BTW I should have also mentioned that you are correct that most STD/LTD policies and/or supplemental health benefits will have exclusions concerning high-risk activities, but so long as these are related to recreational activities and not your profession, then these activities are typically well-defined and limited in scope to things such as skydiving, scuba diving, motorsports racing, etc. I have never seen a policy that has exclusions for any form of recreational cycling, whether mountain biking or other. That's not to say a policy with this exclusion doesn't exist (it's your coverage, you need to read it carefully and consult with knowledgeable resources if you don't fully understand it) but only that I've never personally seen one. Conversely, if mountain biking was your profession (not a recreational hobby activity), it would likely be difficult to find coverage, or at least difficult to find it any reasonable premium rate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.