Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been racing for a few years with good results, I'm active in the cycling community, IMBA member, trail builder, etc. I applied for some individual sponsorships for next year and the small team I race with also applied for some team sponsorships. We're a new team but we applied with people that make products we already use and believe in. We/I are not asking for much but what can we expect? We have a website we can link to the sponsor, we'll be getting jerseys printed but what else can we offer the sponsor besides just being a good representative?

What sort grassroots programs exist? I know the topic of percentage discounts or prices is taboo when talking about a particular company but can those with experience shed some light? General terms and % are fine. What kind of "contracts" are involved with grassroots deals? I know Michelin has a good program and they're very open with the details but what are some of the other things companies are doing? Do they offer packages, across the board discounts, etc?

Also related, anyone know what the typical deals are like through sponsorhouse.com? Any companies in particular do anything really cool or innovative? I see mongoosetribe.com has a pretty cool setup by Eric Carter for the gravity riders among us. Related to all of that, what are some ideas that we could offer companies to really step it up without costing them an arm and a leg. Free stuff is great but I think most people realize that is just not happening.

Any help/info is appreciated? Just trying to lay out the plans for next year. I did a search but it seems most people ask about how to apply and I've already got that covered.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Just about every manufac. in the bike industry offers some type of grassroots product support program. In most cases, you/your team will get about 15%-25% off of suggested retail. Check out there manufac. websites for how to submit.

Most companies will find sponsoring a team will be more beneficial than an individual rider. Think of it as 1 billboard vs. 100 billboards. It's a no-brainer as to which will gain more attention and brand awareness.

Also, be willing to promote and use the product with pride and respect. Yeah, they might swing you a deal on gear, but if you don't use it or are not a promoter of the gear why should they help you? Think right product in the right market. A DH hill company is not going to want to help out an XC team. Yeah, it's no brainer, but it happens more than you think.

Be willing to send your sponsors race reports and recaps. They want to know what is going on with you and the team. It's all about building a relationship.

Finally, say please and thank you! It's very simple thing to do and it means A LOT! People in the bike industry are busy people. Respect their time with the up most importance.

One last thing. Most companies accept sponsorship proposals from October to about mid-November. If you missed that time frame you might be out of luck. :rolleyes:

YOU WILL WANT TO READ THIS!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.