Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new to me, and has me doing a little head scratching.

Just did a Boostinator conversion on my I9 Torch / LB Carbon / CX Ray rear wheel. After redishing the wheel and bringing tension back to 120kgf I've got spokes kissing the cassette under hard loads or turns. Really puzzled here since the dish should have brought the spokes farther away from the cassette. I think I'm going to take the cassette off and tap the outside spokeheads a bit and see what that does. If that doesn't work I guess I'll see if I have an old 1mm cassette spacer in my junk box or grind the spider a bit.

Just thought I'd share since it's an odd situation.

You can see the bright ring where the ano is worn off in the pic below.

Bicycle part Rim Spoke Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I don't remember how those I9 hubs go together but is it possible you're missing a spacer under the freehub? Usually, with a missing spacer the freehub binds, but IDK about the I9.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, now I'm not sure when that damage happened lol.

Turns out at least most of the noise I was hearing was the brake rotors clipping the caliper. That's what I get for slapping a bike together. One piston was sticky so when the pads were centered the caliper wasn't, lol. I swear it sounded just like something clipping a spoke though.

However, at some point the spokes were hitting that cassette because there is matching marks on both. I measured the gap before doing anything with a feeler gauge and it was 15-20 thousanths. Tapping the spokes opened it up a little bit. I needed a new cassette anyway so I'll see if that's still an issue on Thursday when that comes in, I thinks it's probably ok.

Sometimes you gotta laugh at yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.