Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has a ballpark figure on the difference in weight between 36 straight gauge steel spokes vs. 36 double butted spokes. I think the straight gauge are 14 and the db's are 14/15 gauge. thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
DT's Champions are straight gauge stainless and are around 6.95g each. So that'll be
about 250g

DT's don't have a double butted spoke in the current line up but the next lightest is the
Alpine III that comes in at around 6.59g each or 237g for 36 spokes.

Not a lotta weight saved there but remember it's rotating weight wich effects acceleration
and deceleration. Losing 1g of rotating weight is like loosing 2g static weight.

You building up some light weight wheels? For XC?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eatyapeas said:
DT's Champions are straight gauge stainless and are around 6.95g each. So that'll be
about 250g

DT's don't have a double butted spoke in the current line up but the next lightest is the
Alpine III that comes in at around 6.59g each or 237g for 36 spokes.

Not a lotta weight saved there but remember it's rotating weight wich effects acceleration
and deceleration. Losing 1g of rotating weight is like loosing 2g static weight.

You building up some light weight wheels? For XC?
thanks for the info. I'm going to be building some wheels up and trying to figure out how to save weight on current configuration w/ straight gauge. someone told me double butted spokes save alot of weight. seems like DT doesn't even carry them anymore...guess I'm old school. these 717's are like 5yrs old. thanks for the info on rotating vs. static weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.