Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've recommended the cane creek zonos wheelset to a few people here and some have bought it. Has anyone tightened or had to tighten the spokes? Or probably what I should be asking is do i need to buy and use the park tool tm-1 to do this correctly?

I just had my rear zonos wheel apart because it wasn't spinning as good as I thought it should. So I used a rubber type polishing wheel and a my dremel and I polished the pawls, the pawl carrier and some of the ratchet ring contact points that appeared to have surface fractures. I replaced the 1 bearing in the pawl carrier that is hard to get out and usually fractures upon removal, #5 on the zonos pdf diagram. Then I loaded the hub with a heavy metal based oil and reassembled it. After I did all this the wheel spins like a dream! But I noticed the spoke tension seems a little soft. I have trued cheap OEM wheels before and never had a problem, should I just give each spoke around the rim a good 1/4 turn and see how they feel or should I purchase a park TM-1 tool and actually measure the spoke tension? A little note, dropping the $70 or so dollars for the tool is no big deal so that's not an issue. Anyone have experience with this? I know I should be asking on the wheels and tires website, and I might, but then I'd get answers from people I don't know and trust like you guys ;).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to try and answer my own question so I stopped by a mail order lbs that is close to work and I picked up the park tool tm-1 for $55. If I find a chance to work with it this weekend I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm very curious to see what the tension is in the wheels or if they need any tightening after 3 years of riding them.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
baraant said:
I'm going to try and answer my own question so I stopped by a mail order lbs that is close to work and I picked up the park tool tm-1 for $55. If I find a chance to work with it this weekend I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm very curious to see what the tension is in the wheels or if they need any tightening after 3 years of riding them.
Have fun :p

I've got CC Aeroheats / Zonos rim brakes and Zonos Discos..
All good here, but I don't get out much at all..
~Jake

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
i gotta get me a tension gauge.. i have been measuring mine on how much the spokes and move over one another on the third cross. if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jake Pay said:
I depend on no one
That looks niiiiiiiice. With father's day coming up I'm going to have to leave pictures of that laying around the house.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
When I am building a wheel I pluck the spokes like a guitar string and tension them by ear.
I once built up a wheel without a stand, and only used my ear as a gauge. Never even spun the wheel the whole time I was building it until I was done.
Afterwards, I was amazed at how true it was.
It was a rear wheel, so the pitch was different for each side of the wheel.
It's actually pretty easy to do.

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
i like my method of just squeezing the overlapped spokes to see how much they slide over each other. sound seems like it would be difficult, for me anyway. some people just have an amazing quality of distinguishing pitch.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I guess it helps if you are a musician........= )
I should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trung Stand?

I finally tried the TM-1 on a few spokes last night and as I suspected they do not have enough tension. I didn't try to balance or tighten any spokes as I was too tired from the ballgame my daughter had last night.

I had planned on using the bike as a holder for the wheel, but I noticed there may be quite a few things in my way, so my next step is to look at truing stands. I found this one at REI, Minoura Workman Pro Truing Stand. What do you guys think? Any other rec's? I'd like to maybe someday build a wheel, but I don't know if I'll ever have time to try building a wheel at least not anytime soon.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
baraant said:
I found this one at REI, Minoura Workman Pro Truing Stand. What do you guys think? Any other rec's? I'd like to maybe someday build a wheel, but I don't know if I'll ever have time to try building a wheel at least not anytime soon.
That's the NEW version of the Minoura Workman Pro that I posted up-thread

It's a nice addition to your tools and should come in handy.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jake Pay said:
That's the NEW version of the Minoura Workman Pro that I posted up-thread

It's a nice addition to your tools and should come in handy.

Jake, thanks. I just saw a 20% off coupon from Performance that would take $40 off the Park TS-2 bringing it to $160. Any reason to spend the extra cash and step up to the Park?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts