Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
LOL!! This thread reminds me of the time Stephen Colbert's Word Of The Day was "Wikiality". Basic premise of the bit was that Wikipedia has enabled any birdbrained halfwit to post any amount of rubbish on the web and suddenly... it's the truth! To prove his point, he pretended to go to the "Elephants" entry on Wikipedia and rewrite it to say that elephants are not endangered and instead are thriving by the thousands and are in turn, threatening mankind. It was brilliant - within minutes, Wikipedia locked down the "Elephants" page 'cause goofballs were going on there and rewriting stuff with nonsense.

It's as if pvd said, "Crap, no one's buying my Loctite argument in the spoke prep thread. Better go write up a page on my Wikipedia rip-off MySpace thingie. If I post it there, then it's gotta be real!"

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What has me laughing is this whole "pvdwiki" conceit in general. A wiki is supposed to be a collaborative resource that a community of contributors uses to refine reference material via peer review.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki#Server-side_versus_client-side_wiki

"pvdwiki" appears to be one man's echo chamber, in which his own narrow opinions can gather volume un-tormented by dissent (or spellcheck).

And then he posts them in a discussion forum with no apparent intent of discussing anything other than why others are idiots, dupes or noobs for disagreeing.

People are a trip.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Yeah, probably wrong forum, but is it a generally accepted practice to build wheels using loctite? That seems like a recipe for disaster in that the nature of a spoked wheel is that it well eventually need to be trued no matter how well it's built and if the nipples are loctited to the spokes that might be kinda fun (not in the good way). I noticed that he poo-poos Wheelsmith spoke-prep but that's all my mechanic uses and all the wheels he's built using it have turned out OK and are easy to maintain when necessary. If I'm wrong, somebody please tell me though.

·
donkey
263 Posts
i just finished building a rear wheel (paul word disk hub, salsa delgado rim, DT spokes). I used linseed oil on the spoke threads. I used wheelsmith spokeprep on a front wheel i did earlier this week (surly disk, salsa rim, DT spokes). If anyone is interested, I'll post back with how each wheel trues up, and how each stays true. Psuedo-experimental at best -- i know front and rear wheels are subject to very different forces -- but it could lead to some interesting (and hopefully intelligent) discussion.

And now my 2 cents: I've always heard that loctite shouldn't be used between spokes and nipples. I have, however, heard of people soldering spokes together where they cross, once they have a wheel perfect. does the title of this thread seem intrinsically counter-intuitive to anyone else? who would want their spokes "locked"?

PS -- anyone know where i can get a pink skewer to match my pink CK headset? PM me (not trying to hijack).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Perhaps this is obvious to all...

PeanutButterBreath said:
And then he posts them in a discussion forum with no apparent intent of discussing anything
The reason he posts links here is one-fold. He collects more hits on his site. It has many names, many people do it (self included), the trick is to use tact, and actually post something that is useful and perhaps pertainent to someone elses agenda (other than constantly serving your own).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
am I going to take advice from a rider who has twice had to ride on his rims because he is too ignorant to bring along a patch kit? No, couldnt find anything on patch kits at his site, but it seems like something he could use.

I too have double flatted multiple times in my life...once even had a 2" gash in my tube...I put several large patches on it and got out of there without having to ride on my rim. Also have built several wheels, never used loctite...my wheels arent blowing up on me...although as I mentioned above, I have never had to ride 3 miles on a rim.

He should write a wiki on how to get oil to leak out of your fork, he seems pretty good at that.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Honestly, these forums would be lacking if there weren't people like PVD. There should be an MTBR hall of fame for these people....oh wait that's the Political-Socio-Eco-Religion forum is.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
xmynameisdan said:
MODS

How is this not spam? Every forum that I've read locks and/or delete this type of post. Tis spam and nothing else.
Spam, at least the type that is of concern with being locked by MTBR mods/admins, involves something for sale. Pvd is selling nothing, therefore he is exempt.

NOW, if you want to talk about locking a thread for reasons including, but not limited to, complete and utter rubbish, inexperienced opinions and half-truths, THEN maybe there's reason ..... if they see fit. Of worthy mention is MTBR forum Guideline #7;

The message is posted as "flame-bait" and is posted to incite flames and insults.

Funny, it seems lately that every time he posts he's flamed with great fervor. Aaahhh, but it's not his intention. (shrug)

Wanna get this thread locked? Post about politics, religion, pot, sex and maybe some personal stupidity that absolutely no one would care about. Just be sure it's a discussion, otherwise they can target that ONE person and ..... let's not go there. Hopefully i'm not targetted to serve as an example ..... :eekster:

So, I was smoking a joint on the way to church ..... I went there after I finished working at the office (I work for the governemtn, btw ..... lots of money to do nothing) ..... and I was riding my bike, jra, and saw a nun so we talked and then went to church and paryed they're. Then teh minster came out and we prayed moar and it was fun hehehe.

(pulls down collar, puts neck on guillotine, crosses fingers ..... and nuts)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Sparticus said:
[*] Mis-matched brake levers have no place on a quality bicycle.
[*]Nor do mis-matched headset cups.
[*]That is not a singlespeed.[/LIST]
--Sparty
Hey! I have different front and rear brake levers! And I have different brand upper and lower headset cups! You say'in bike aint quality?

Oh.. but I have a single speed....

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
nbrennan said:
who would want their spokes "locked"?
With tied & soldered (and twist-lacing also... which came from BMX but then moved to DH mtbs by virtue of that XC bikes too) the locking has more to do with keeping the spokes from going someplace should one break in usage. A spoke into the frame/fork leg probably won't stop the bike, but it might damage something else in the process (like your leg).

As to riding rims... I've flatted out my supply of tubes before and just been too lazy to patch the tubes and just ridden the tire out. Some duct/electrical tape will keep it in place on the rim (using disc brakes helps) and gives better traction than a rim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.