Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
eat your porridge jordie
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a DT Swiss Onyx Hub laced to a 4.1d rim using DT Swiss spokes and nipples on Craigslist not too long ago, and while it's been great I have noticed something about the spoke tension. It seems rather low compared to other wheels, and I am wondering how to fix it. I've had 2 issues where after a particularly painful ride to the rear wheel, it seems to make the spokes pop on each other. Doesn't effect the true of the wheel, but it's annoying. I can fix it by ramping up the tension a bit on the spokes. Do I need to get a tensiometer on there to set it right? Compared to other wheels I have, it seems very easy to turn the nipples, like the tension is very low on all the spokes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you want to get the tension specs or advice you could contact dt swiss.

U.S.A.
DT Swiss Inc.
2493 Industrial Blvd.
USA - Grand Junction/CO 81505
Phone +1 (970) 242 9232
Fax +1 (970) 244 8918
e-mail: [email protected]

several wheel builders build excellent wheels without tensiometers. personally, i'm not one of those and i use the fsa tensiometer.

whether using a tensiometer or omitting it, make sure you are stress relieving the spokes when you increase the tension and minimize spoke twist. this results in a wheel that is virtually devoid of spoke pinging/popping noises and one that will remain true. it is important to have close to the same tension in the drive side spokes and also close to the same tension in the non drive side spokes. that doesn't mean the tension values will be the same on each side but the spokes going to the same side of the hub should have very close values of tension relative to one another. however, in a zero dish wheel both groups of spokes will have similiar tensions. people building without tensiometers usually pluck the spokes and compare the pitch (audible frequency) to other spokes on the same side of the hub and often with a known "good" wheel with the idea of achieving the same pitch for each spoke on a given side of the wheel while matching the pitch to a calibration standard (the "good" wheel); a concept derived from wave mechanics. i'm tone deaf and like to look at numbers given by tensiometers and when the tension specs are known i can meet them within an acceptable range.

anyway, there are a plethora of threads discussing wheel building and maintenance in addition to the resources located on the web (sheldon brown springs to mind).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.