Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke/lost a spoke on the rear wheel. Looks like a straight pull (no j bend) but does anyone know the exact length off hand? (Not getting answers from RM via emai).

·
Registered
12,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be easier to measure one of the surviving spokes. Did it break inside the nipple?
Nothing's easier than asking on the internet. ;)

Not sure if it's broken off at the nipple or just came loose and fell out. With it being straight pull, there's nothing to stop it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Just take out one of the other spokes (on the same side) and measure it. Youre gonna have to retrue the wheel anyway.

·
ups and downs
15,593 Posts
Hey look what I came across, a spoke size chart. I was asking RMB_PM a question and he asked me if I could post this here, he'd been trying but couldn't post a reply for some reason. So here it is.

Attachments

·
wheelie king
614 Posts
Is that chart for 2013? I have a 2014 Altitude 770 msl, and it does not have straight pull spokes as the chart is indicating.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had one spoke unthread and disappear entirely about a month after getting the bike. My ace mechanic tracked down a replacement and re-truedthe wheel for me. Everything went well for another month and then I started noticing loose spokes again, front and back. Like really loose flopping around. Usually 2-3 at a time. They're a pain to tighten down too, since the straight pull allows the spoke to spin while you're trying to tighten it. Had to use leatherman pliers to hold the spoke while I turned the spoke wrench on the nipple.
The good news is, you can ride the hell out of these things with a missing spoke and they stay pretty true!
Well, after about the 5th time this happened, I realized the only hope for these wheels would be to unthread them completely and lace them back up again. Whatever the robot did that built them up, it wasn't working.
Instead of actually doing that, I bought a pair of Charger Pro SLs. Just arrived today. Totally stoked! Yay for me!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have these rims on my altitude 730 and lately I feel like these rims are flexing under harder cornering. Anyone else find this?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rocky Mtn, I put the new Sun Ringle Charger Pro set on my wife's bike a week ago. She was never tuned into the subtleties of the bike well enough to notice anything like you're talking about when using the old wheels. However, after the first ride with the new set she says to me, "I don't know how to describe whats happening, but I think the bike feels a lot more responsive or something". I made big grin. :)
Perhaps that answers your question.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,071 Posts
Ok, I found my answer here. Question is, does anyone have one or two 285 spokes laying around?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts