Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so i'm torn between two spoke lengths, I'm building up a 24" wheel using DT champions which I can only get in 2mm increments.

My value for the rear non drive spoke length is 229.10mm - the question being is it safe to round up to 230mm or would I be ok rounding down to 228mm.. neither are particularly ideal.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hynam said:
Ok - so i'm torn between two spoke lengths, I'm building up a 24" wheel using DT champions which I can only get in 2mm increments.

My value for the rear non drive spoke length is 229.10mm - the question being is it safe to round up to 230mm or would I be ok rounding down to 228mm.. neither are particularly ideal.

Cheers
I will go +/-1.5mm from precise length and prefer to round down. I hate having a nipple bottom out. Probably not a issue with Champs and a 24" wheel.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
mtnbikej said:
Usually round up. :thumbsup:
yup, just make sure that the spoke doesn't bottom out on the threads. In all reality either is fine, the measurements are usually set so the spoke comes up flush or past the nipples inner side, I know a few super weight weenies that always go down a size to save the gram or two :rolleyes: always go longer if you are doing more than basic XC riding too! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, think I will order spokes tonight.

Just to check i've got these values right (first build, want to get it right!), for the front wheel I've got: L 227.8 and R 229.7 then for the rear: L 229.10 and R 228.2

Planning on using 228 and 230mm spokes for front and 230 and 228 for the rear.. Does that sound about right?

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Hynam said:

Just to check i've got these values right (first build, want to get it right!), for the front wheel I've got: L 227.8 and R 229.7 then for the rear: L 229.10 and R 228.2

Planning on using 228 and 230mm spokes for front and 230 and 228 for the rear.. Does that sound about right?
all depends on hubs and rims...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hynam said:

That is the way I would round it.

But have you actually measured the hubs and rim? Many published specs do not match the product, from typos, production variation or different versions. Bad data = poor results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've measured the ERD on the rims, and the dimensions on the pro II I found to be the same in a few different places online so i'm pretty confident (don't have any accurate enough calipers)

Thanks for the replies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.