Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a wheelset for my new Jet9 build.
So far I have it down to Hope Pro2 hubs (ordered) laced to Velocity VXC rims but I am lost in relation to spokes.
The bike will be used for long distance rides and races.
I am 6'3" tall and weigh around 185lb.

Looking at DT Supercomps or maybe Sapim C-Xrays??
Any feedback on either of these for my purpose??
Any other lightweight options I should be looking at??

·
This place needs an enema
17,433 Posts
TR said:
Looking to build a wheelset for my new Jet9 build.
So far I have it down to Hope Pro2 hubs (ordered) laced to Velocity VXC rims but I am lost in relation to spokes.
The bike will be used for long distance rides and races.
I am 6'3" tall and weigh around 185lb.

Looking at DT Supercomps or maybe Sapim C-Xrays??
Any feedback on either of these for my purpose??
Any other lightweight options I should be looking at??
Do yourself a tremendous favor and change your mind *right now* about the VXC's.

Way, way whippy for a guy of your weight. Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

An infinitely better choice for similar $$ and less ## would be the Stans Arch. At your weight and riding longish races I'd probably do a blend of 2.0/1.8 Comps and SuperComps. You gain a *massive* ~20g per wheelset in choosing the blend over straight Comps, but you also gain a laterally stiffer and easier to control wheelset that has the added benefit of not needing to be trued nearly as often.

Cheers,

MC

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike
Thanks for the reply.
Would Supercomps all around with the exception of the rear driveside being Comps fit the bill??
I was relying on the fact that I know a guy on VXC's who is bigger than me and has been running them for quite some time with no problems.
Down here in Australia the Arches are not similar $.
Also by ## do you mean weight?? From what I have seen the VXC and Arch weigh the same.
If I want less weight then the 355 is the only option.
I have not seen any weight limit on them but what are your thoughts??

·
17,433 Posts
TR said:
Would Supercomps all around with the exception of the rear driveside being Comps fit the bill??
Probably. Personally, I'm a huge fan (when racing) of having more stiffness and durability than the bare minimum. When racing I always picked crappier lines and was almost always too blown to care, and as a result the wheels took a beating.

Which is a long winded way of saying that the extra ~12g you'll gain by using Comps on the front disc side is worth the increased stiffness and peace of mind.

I was relying on the fact that I know a guy on VXC's who is bigger than me and has been running them for quite some time with no problems.
That's encouraging, but...

Let's just say that I also know several guys that *were* on them and no longer are.

You could do worse, but you can do lots, lots better.

Down here in Australia the Arches are not similar $.
Sorry--didn't realize you were in Oz.

Also by ## do you mean weight?? From what I have seen the VXC and Arch weigh the same. If I want less weight then the 355 is the only option.
They're really close. VXC's are ~470g and Arch are consistently ~450.

Another great option (if you can find 'em at a reasonable price) are the Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB. ~495g/rim but they build up so well that using SuperComps all around would build a plenty stiff/durable wheel for you so you could 'get back' most of the weight difference from the Arch/Comp/SuperComp combo. Also, the Bontrager TLR system is bomber and a great reason to consider this route.

Either way (Arch or Mustang) you're doing great.

MC

·
17,433 Posts
TR said:
Thankss again Mike.
I assume by your silence on the question that the 355's are a no go??

I am extremely doubtful on the Mustang's.
I have never seen them down here.
The 355 *is* slightly lighter than the Arch, but the 355 carries with it a tension limitation that means that you can never bring the spokes up to 'final' tension. In short, the wheel is half baked. It would probably start out round and true, but the low tension (as mandated by the manufacturer) means that it is very, very easy to bang out of true. For a lighter rider it might hold up just fine for a season, but for anyone over ~130lbs, it's just not durable enough IMO.

Also, the 355 builds into such a whippy wheel that for you, at ~185#, you'd need to use a (heavier) DT Competition spoke all the way around to make it stable enough for you to ride/race confidently. The Arch, on the other hand, is stiff enough that you can use the aforementioned (and lighter) Comp/SuperComp blend and still have it be stable and durable. So with the Arch, in the end, you get a similar weight wheelset as the 355, only with far greater stiffness and durability.

MC

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
mikesee said:
Do yourself a tremendous favor and change your mind *right now* about the VXC's.

Way, way whippy for a guy of your weight. Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

An infinitely better choice for similar $$ and less ## would be the Stans Arch. At your weight and riding longish races I'd probably do a blend of 2.0/1.8 Comps and SuperComps. You gain a *massive* ~20g per wheelset in choosing the blend over straight Comps, but you also gain a laterally stiffer and easier to control wheelset that has the added benefit of not needing to be trued nearly as often.

Cheers,

MC
you clearly have something against the Australians and their rims...TR, dont take it personal

mike sure gives good advice...supercomps all the way around indeed makes little sense for a phat azz like you at 185. Even me, at 175 (all muscle however) opted for Comps on the rear drive side.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FoShizzle said:
you clearly have something against the Australians and their rims...TR, dont take it personal

mike sure gives good advice...supercomps all the way around indeed makes little sense for a phat azz like you at 185. Even me, at 175 (all muscle however) opted for Comps on the rear drive side.
At least my phat azz is attached to a a man sized frame at 6'3".
Not like your shoulderless lady boy body??
:p ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.