Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wheel with a few spokes that need to be replaced. In replacing broken spokes in the past, I have never used grease or spoke prep on the spoke before threading into the nipple. The most recent one I did this way comes loose often, so I'm guessing either the grease or the prep is needed.

Does it matter functionally which I use? Does the chemical that is spoke prep live by another name in the non-bike related world? Is it the same as blue loctite?

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Just from my experience...ive built about 3 sets of wheels and repaired several..........for a few spokes to repair.....maybe throw some blue loctite on there...seems it serves a similiar purpose as spoke prep.....its an antiseize agent...make sure its blue

for building full wheels ... i ordered / use spoke prep....

my 2 cents...

-Boz

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
GrantB said:
I have a wheel with a few spokes that need to be replaced. In replacing broken spokes in the past, I have never used grease or spoke prep on the spoke before threading into the nipple. The most recent one I did this way comes loose often, so I'm guessing either the grease or the prep is needed.

Does it matter functionally which I use? Does the chemical that is spoke prep live by another name in the non-bike related world? Is it the same as blue loctite?
Don't use loctite!
Some use boiled linseed oil, I use your basic anti-sieze type of 'grease'... which is also what I use on BB cups, BB tapers and any bolts that I don't want seized up. A small tub from the local hardware store will last many, many yrs.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
logbiter said:
Don't use loctite!
Some use boiled linseed oil, I use your basic anti-sieze type of 'grease'... A small tub from the local hardware store will last many, many yrs.
I got just the tub by the toolbox. If that works, then I am in good shape.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.