Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going down some steep hills on the twisting roads where i live when i break on the front to control the desent the spokes sound like your putting a stick to the moving wheel....

Is this just the force/load on the spokes under heavy braking at speed as they dont feel that they need tightening....

Im running 4 pot on 203 eotors....

Thanks....

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Something is hitting your spokes when you apply the brake. Is the front wheel in the drop outs and aligned? Is there a screw protruding from the brake caliper mount that is very close to the spokes and hits under pressure?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im on a carbon lefty and there is nothing near the spokes,,,,

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Push your fork down and see if any cables head into your wheel or near it. I had the same problem, right before a race.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The brake cable has good clearance as it zip tied to the fork above the calliper...

The nearest thing to the spokes is the calliper but thats got enough clearance and has no marks on it as if the spokes wherre hitting it....

It only happends when going down realy steep hills where i have to break heavy....

I see it as....on the flat your just stopping the forward momentum of the bke to slow it down but on a steep hill the brake is having to fight against the bike wanting to keep gaining speed so i think its just large forces pushing and pulling on the spokes....

Under braking all the torgue is loaded onto the hub via the rotor so that force is then transfered to the spokes which are being compressed under the breaking load before the caliper and released after leaving the caliper which causes the noise....

I need to put this te Dr Karl....

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Is the brake line hitting the knobs on compression? Your spokes should not make this noise without help.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is it a new wheel? My spokes made some noise when i first started riding the bike, but after a few rides it stopped as the spokes were seated in the rim....

·
My spoon is too big!
881 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my Lefty. It turned out to be the brake cable flexing into the spokes as the fork compressed. I just turned the cable clamp a few degrees, and it stopped doing it.

·
Lefty Heaven
102 Posts
I had a similar noise at one point. It was one of the bolts that bolts the brake adapter to the Lefty sticking through just enough that under load it would touch the brake disk. I just got a boly 5mm shorter and the problem was solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts