Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Various spoke nipples from my front wheel keep going into the rim and rattling around. I've found a fix: take off the tire and tube and get the nipple out through the tube valve hole then reinsert and tighten. It's not a tedious process, but it's annoying to do every other week and I'm worried about the inner tube rubbing and getting flats. I'm only commuting and it only happens on my front wheel. It's a different spoke every time. How should I fix this?

Thanks!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,778 Posts
you need spoke prep or boiled linseed oil and a proper tune

dismount wheel and tire and tube
go through all your spokes and remove nipple, clean spoke, screw back on with boiled linseed oil or spoke prep

(linseed oil is used as spoke prep on many expensive wheelsets and it is legit choice)

true up wheel with proper spoke tension, done.

now, 'true up wheel with proper tension' is the goal but the task is tedious to do correctly if you are not an experienced wheelbuilder with a truing stand, but totally doable at home w/o one

·
since 4/10/2009
34,340 Posts
I'll venture a guess that by the nature of this question, OP shouldn't be going anywhere near his wheel.

I'll say to take it to a shop that has a decent wheel builder.

Depending on the severity of the problem, the wheel may need a rebuild, and depending on the wheel in question, it might cost more than a new wheel.

·
well mannered lout
3,258 Posts
"Various spoke nipples" are just randomly unthreading and falling off inside ?! Then they rattle around inside a box section or deepV of the rim until you retrieve them through the valve hole? Every week!?

I've got to know where you got this thing.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah ive never had a nipple unthread itself. Had many cracked, dropped more than a few into rim rebuilding them, but never unthreaded while riding. I use anti-seize or grease, and build to high tension. Either your ur wheel needa rebuild or new rim. Rim kight be bent causing uneven tension

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.