Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rats, The wheels that came on my GT IDXC have a nonstandard spoke nipple size,
any advice on truing them? they are somewhere beween the red and black Park spoke wrenches (between 14 and 15 on my round spoke wrench)

please help

I have already stripped a few nipples and the wheels are too out of true to ride.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
tekkamaki said:
Rats, The wheels that came on my GT IDXC have a nonstandard spoke nipple size,
any advice on truing them? they are somewhere beween the red and black Park spoke wrenches (between 14 and 15 on my round spoke wrench)

please help

I have already stripped a few nipples and the wheels are too out of true to ride.
Park green.

Nipple flats are not "14g" or "15g", Most high-end nipples (14g and 15g) use the Park black wrench (0.127"). Many machine built wheels use 0.136" nipples (Park red).

The Park green is 0.130".

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
For stripped nipples you may use locking pliers. Just make sure the pliers are holding the nipple tight.
As a matter of fact, I always use locking pliers to true wheels, not just for stripped nipples. So far, so good - it takes longer, but works for nipples of lower quality, without risk to strip them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI these spokes are an odd size, somewhere between Park red and green. Red strips them out, I can use green, just have to hammer the spoke wrench in with the handle of the screwdriver. this stuff should be standardized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts