Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if someone here can enlighten me as to the spokes lengths needed to lace a set of Salsa Delgado 29er Disc rims to DT 240S disc hubs, or point me to a source that can? Thanks.

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
Titus Maximus said:
I'm wondering if someone here can enlighten me as to the spokes lengths needed to lace a set of Salsa Delgado 29er Disc rims to DT 240S disc hubs, or point me to a source that can? Thanks.
For 3x lacing, 32h:

Front = 292L, 296R
Rear = 294L, 294R

MC

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a lovely blue El Comandante on the way. My first 29er. I'm going to see if my old battered knees can stand up to the abuse of a single speed. I'm liberating the 240s hubs from some 26" hoops.

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, I received the rims today and they are labeled 605 ERD. When I input that diameter, along with the hub info, into DT's online Spoke Calculator I get these numbers:

Front L - 292 mm
Front R - 295 mm
Rear - 293 mm both sides

The hubs are actually a DT Hügi 240 disc 100 mm in front and a DT 240s disc 6 bolt 135 mm in back, and, as you surmised, 32 hole 3X build. Would you go with these numbers or the longer ones you mentioned before. I realize it amounts to a silly little millimeter, so it's probably not critical. Also, do you recommend Super Comps for this build? I'm about 180 lbs. and generally keep the rubber on the ground, and my backs telling me I'm old, oooold. But not slow!!

·
16,919 Posts
Titus Maximus said:
Mike, I received the rims today and they are labeled 605 ERD. When I input that diameter, along with the hub info, into DT's online Spoke Calculator I get these numbers:

Front L - 292 mm
Front R - 295 mm
Rear - 293 mm both sides

The hubs are actually a DT Hügi 240 disc 100 mm in front and a DT 240s disc 6 bolt 135 mm in back, and, as you surmised, 32 hole 3X build. Would you go with these numbers or the longer ones you mentioned before. I realize it amounts to a silly little millimeter, so it's probably not critical.
I use 606 for the DD29's.

Titus Maximus said:
Also, do you recommend Super Comps for this build? I'm about 180 lbs. and generally keep the rubber on the ground, and my backs telling me I'm old, oooold. But not slow!!
I'd use Comps tensioned to the very highest end of the range. The DD29 is a very soft rim: using a thicker spoke at high tension helps to stabilize it. I think if you used SuperComps you'd wonder what was wrong with your wheelbuilding skills! The rims are really soft.

As far as your back--use a higher stem or a bigger rise on your bars!

Good luck--post pics when it's built.

MC

·
Old Fart at Play
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. Now you've made me second guess my choice of the Delgado Discs. What rim(s) do you like for a 29er build? TK 7.1 Perhaps? Or maybe a DD29 in front and something sturdier in back? I like running tires in the 2.3 range in front on 26" rims and perhaps just a bit narrower in back. For instance I'm presently using a Spider 2.3 UST in front and a Vertical Pro UST in back. I also like the Octopus 2.3 UST with the Mibro 2.25 UST. So I'll be using Exiwolves on the 29er until something with bigger teeth comes along. Maybe try an Ignitor in the back. I like the idea of the wide stance on the DD's, but if they have sacrificed too much durability to keep the weight down, perhaps I would be better off with something sturdier, at least in the rear. What say you, oh sage of the 29er wheel?

·
16,919 Posts
Titus Maximus said:
Hmm. Now you've made me second guess my choice of the Delgado Discs. What rim(s) do you like for a 29er build? TK 7.1 Perhaps? Or maybe a DD29 in front and something sturdier in back? I like running tires in the 2.3 range in front on 26" rims and perhaps just a bit narrower in back. For instance I'm presently using a Spider 2.3 UST in front and a Vertical Pro UST in back. I also like the Octopus 2.3 UST with the Mibro 2.25 UST. So I'll be using Exiwolves on the 29er until something with bigger teeth comes along. Maybe try an Ignitor in the back. I like the idea of the wide stance on the DD's, but if they have sacrificed too much durability to keep the weight down, perhaps I would be better off with something sturdier, at least in the rear. What say you, oh sage of the 29er wheel?
If you're 170lbs or less, build 'em. If more than that, I'd go to 36h up front. Depends on lots of things, like where/how you ride, and how much you weigh.

MC

·
Registered
340 Posts
At first I thought, "Now why would Mike C. waste his time giving away this free advice that certainly won't result in any business for him." But as I read more, it just confirmed for me: 1) that he is a very knowledgeable wheel builder, 2) he must be a nice guy, and 3) if I didn't enjoy building my own wheels as much as I do, I would definitely give my business to him.

Kudos to you, Mike. A successful business person has a keen eye for the bigger pciture.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Teach a man to fish...

There are several spoke calculators out there. The one on the DT Swiss web page is one of my favorites. Go here http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp

Link to the spoke calculator is on the bottem left. Once you click the link you can either register or select anonymous usage. Make your choice and it will take you to a new page with lots of drop downs and options for rim, spokes, and hubs. Lots of pre-defined info, but all can be user defined so any combination is possible as long as you have or can measure the dimensions.

Sheldon has spocalc on his webpage at http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
It's also pretty easy to use.

Enjoy....now go fish...er ride. :thumbsup:

·
16,919 Posts
The Avenger said:
At first I thought, "Now why would Mike C. waste his time giving away this free advice that certainly won't result in any business for him." But as I read more, it just confirmed for me: 1) that he is a very knowledgeable wheel builder, 2) he must be a nice guy, and 3) if I didn't enjoy building my own wheels as much as I do, I would definitely give my business to him.

Kudos to you, Mike. A successful business person has a keen eye for the bigger pciture.
Err, um, thanks.

My thought here is simply that a person that has a flimsy/whippy/flexy set of wheels is unlikely to enjoy their ride, and by extension, their bike. A well-built set of wheels lends confidence and enjoyment to any ride, to the bike, etc... Doesn't matter who builds the wheels--I just want people to enjoy the bikes.

MC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.