Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
You need to look to see which way the DT spokecalc rounded (up or down).

You can usually go 1.5mm longer or shorter than the "exact" length. 2mm can be pushing it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Fluffbomb said:
Hi,

I've used the DT spoke length calculator but if you can't get spokes in the exact length should you go for slightly too long or too short?

Cheers,

Fluff
i have been using the same calculator for my builds as well. i agree with what shiggy said, but i think it is even more complicated than that. there doesn't seem to be much rhyme/reason to some of their rounding. this is because, i believe, they are taking into account various correction calculations. staying within the millimeters shiggy said, i would shoot for trying to get all the same length....usually saves you money when buying spokes.

is this right shiggy? or am i off base?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am confused by what you are saying. The DT Calc shows you the raw length and then a rounded length.

Where I buy my spokes I can get exactly the number of spokes I need and any length all at the same price.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
shiggy said:
I am confused by what you are saying. The DT Calc shows you the raw length and then a rounded length.

Where I buy my spokes I can get exactly the number of spokes I need and any length all at the same price.
i might be confused by what i am saying too:D with the dt calc, i have noticed that if the raw length comes to say 258.7, it doesn't necessarily round to 259. one of my builds went to 258.

i don't believe this has anything to do with common sizes in even increments because i have seen rounding that you wouldn't expect to odd numbers as well.

i am assuming these unexpected roundings are due to the complex mathematical corrections that are made
...no?

DT calc example:
(front)
le. 257.80 mm..........258
ri. 258.70 mm..........258

(rear)
le. 259.00 mm..........259
ri. 257.60 mm...........257

as you can see from above, i was going to go with 258 all around....or i could have gone with different sizes. so i am just saying it not as simple to just see which way they rounded. i definitely agree to stay within 1-2mm.

does that make sense what i am saying?? it's basically the same thing you said anyway, but not quite.

can i ask where you like to get your spokes?? or do you have a special deal somewhere? i still cannot find a consistent place to get spokes at a good deal. if i can get one size, then one place is better. if i need multiple sizes then a different place is better because i order what i need however their price is more...even with price matching games. honestly, it is exhausting and a pain in the butt!!

so shiggy if you found a cool place that you are getting the same deal as everyone else, i would like to know where. it would save me tons of stress :madman:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mx_599 said:
i might be confused by what i am saying too:D with the dt calc, i have noticed that if the raw length comes to say 258.7, it doesn't necessarily round to 259. one of my builds went to 258.

i don't believe this has anything to do with common sizes in even increments because i have seen rounding that you wouldn't expect to odd numbers as well.

i am assuming these unexpected roundings are due to the complex mathematical corrections that are made
...no?

DT calc example:
(front)
le. 257.80 mm..........258
ri. 258.70 mm..........258

(rear)
le. 259.00 mm..........259
ri. 257.60 mm...........257

as you can see from above, i was going to go with 258 all around....or i could have gone with different sizes. so i am just saying it not as simple to just see which way they rounded. i definitely agree to stay within 1-2mm.

does that make sense what i am saying?? it's basically the same thing you said anyway, but not quite.

can i ask where you like to get your spokes?? or do you have a special deal somewhere? i still cannot find a consistent place to get spokes at a good deal. if i can get one size, then one place is better. if i need multiple sizes then a different place is better because i order what i need however their price is more...even with price matching games. honestly, it is exhausting and a pain in the butt!!

so shiggy if you found a cool place that you are getting the same deal as everyone else, i would like to know where. it would save me tons of stress :madman:
All 258 would be fine for your example.

Lately, if my LBS does not have them, I have been buying my spokes from wheelbuilder.com. Good selection, decent prices and quick service.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
mx_599 said:
Depends on the spoke you're using. The DT spoke calc will factor 'stretch' for some of the lighter spokes (Aerolite and Rev's, IIRC) and will round down on those. Using beefier spokes that don't elongate (Champion, Alpine 3) as much, it'll round up.

MC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.