Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used or heard of this product? A mechanic at a lbs recommended it be used on my spoke threads. He showed me the bottle (made by Loc-Tite) and said it is applied to the threads of the spoke after the wheel is built to help keep the tension uniform.

He also said that since he didn't know if the builder had used spoke prep when the wheel was built that this stuff is basically insurance to help with the wheels longevity. I know little or nothing about wheel building so I am at the mercy of anyone selling snake oil remedy's.

So, is this a legit product and/or practice?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
If this "mechanic" needs glue to "to help keep the tension uniform" then he has enough knowledge about wheelbuilding to make him dangerous. As they say in Monty Python's Holy Grail - "Run awaaaaaaaaay".

There is much info on this forum about nipple lubes (ahhhh!) and wheelbuilding to tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to defend or degrade this mechanic, but he told me that "since I didn't build the wheels I can't be sure if spoke prep was used" He also checked the spoke tension and found it to vary quite a bit.

I had bought these wheels used on ebay (Salsa Delgado 29" rims built with Surly New Disc single speed hubs & DT spokes) and brought the rear wheel in because I couldn't get the freewheel off of the hub. He subsequently checked out the spoke tension and made his recommendation.

Thanks for the advise!

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
onepivot said:
Not to defend or degrade this mechanic, but he told me that "since I didn't build the wheels I can't be sure if spoke prep was used" He also checked the spoke tension and found it to vary quite a bit. He subsequently checked out the spoke tension and made his recommendation.
The ideal way to fix these wheels properly would be to do what I would have done had they been MY wheels - stripped them down, lubed the nipple threads and seats, re-tensioned and trued everything (making sure tensions were adequate and even as per my Wheels FAQ ) and then I'd know they were good to go.

But then I don't have to look upon every wheel as a source of income either. If he'd have suggested $40 labour to you, you might have walked. His remedy would work but it wouldn't necessarily have been the best remedy for your wheel.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike,
He charged $9 to true each wheel and $5 for the spoke freeze (per wheel)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.