Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Spec. Demo 9 Pro. Yesterday while riding I shifted the chain into the spokes. After some maintenance today the bike is back to normal, except for one thing I noticed when I pulled the cassette. A few of the spokes behind the cogs were chewed up. Three of the spokes are cut almost 1/3 the way through their diameter. The rest have only superficial damage. My question is, should I go through the trouble of re-lacing new spokes now? Or should I just keep riding it and everything will be ok. I can do the repair but it is a pain in the arse when you consider everything involved. Is this as big a problem as it seems, to look at the spokes makes me cringe a little thinking the wheel will explode next time I do a drop.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If it makes you nervous to ride the wheel, replace the spokes.

I have put many miles on XC wheels with damage like that without the spokes breaking. I wore through the rim sidewalls first.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shiggy...

shiggy said:
If it makes you nervous to ride the wheel, replace the spokes.

I have put many miles on XC wheels with damage like that without the spokes breaking. I wore through the rim sidewalls first.
I will probably continue to ride it the way it is. But, I am the type of rider that pokes and prods my bikes making sure that everything is perfect. We pay enough to do this sport, may as well take care of what we ride right. I will keep an eye on the spoke tension and see what happens. I just hope I don't loose any more teeth :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.