Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently brought home a pair of CK ISO Disc hubs and should be getting my RXL 29in 28h rims in the next 30 days. A buddy of mine wants to help me build them up and we are discussing spoke options.

He recommended the DT Swiss Revolution spokes but one site warns they are not for mountain disc applications.

I can't remember what spoke my shop recommended other than it would cost 2 bucks a spoke.

Price is no object on the spokes. Suggestions?

Also, I weigh 175lbs and they are going on a hardtail.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've used Revolution spokes on my disc wheelset for 4 years now with no problems. Started out laced to Specialized stout disc hubs to Mavic 317 disc rims and switched to CK ISO hubs 2 years ago with the same spokes - built them myself with no problems. I weigh 155 w/gear and haven't noticed any flex problems. I guess it could be a problem if you were a clydsdale, but if they're built up properly, you should be fine.:thumbsup:

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's a strength issue? That's why they tell people not use them?

I think it was the "Not for mountain DISC application" that through me. Why would you not use them for a disc wheel but be fine on a rim brake wheel?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Another vote for the Sapim CX-rays. They'll build a stiffer wheel than Revolutions or Ti spokes, and will still be pretty darn light. 28H 29er rims will be more prone to flexing.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Dude, I used the revolutions on a build with some Mavic 819s and CK hubs. I made my selection without looking close at the spokes. My LBS let me know that they don't really recommend these spokes on mountain wheels.

However, I'm about the same size as you and I ride pretty aggressive XC and have had no problems with the revolutions. They have about 1000 miles on them. I like them. They may have a little more lateral play then other spokes, but they feel pretty nice.

My wrench told me, he thinks they have held up in my case since the 819 is a stiff wheel. Also, I'm riding them on a 2007 Superlight and not a 29 HT. My LBS also told me that these spokes would stretch more than others, this may be more of an issue with the 29 inch wheel.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
MisterC said:
Just so I can argue, a shop friend of mine is saying I shouldn't get bladed spokes.
Whyfor?
Don't listen to him. Lots of us here have used Sapim CX-Ray spokes in our mtb wheels for years (about 9-10 in my case) with no issues. I'm 200lbs bone dry. The CX-Rays are forged from Sapim Laser spokes which are the equivalent to DT Revolutions. I guess the extra forging makes them stronger/tougher/stiffer or whatever. I hate to throw around metalurgical terms with so many engineers around here but you get the idea.

There's more reaction against using Revolutions for disc brake wheels than against using CX-Ray and, I think, for good reasons.

Of course the 'aero' function isn't much (any?) use in mountain biking but the process makes them suited for mtb wheels.

Many times world DH champ Vouilloz used CX-Ray for years. I know he was sponsored to use them but if Sapim didn't want to look silly they wouldn't have signed the deal would they?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.