Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. Should I build my new wheels with:

Revolution (what is the feedback about disk wheels with Revolutions)
Competition
DB14
or something else?

I have a pair of Mavic 32 hole 819XM's and American Classic Disk Hubs (big flange - so shorter spoke). I want to use DT Alu Prolock nipples. I want silver spokes cause I'm sick of scratched black ones.

I want to stay as light as I can without ending up with a noodle. My LBS will build them for me - their mechanic is a great builder. He advises to use Comp - but he also rides a Surly - and isn't a fan of anything light. But he does build great wheels. So it is up to me to tell him what I want.

I'm a XC, Endurance rider with a 4 inch travel Turner Flux/XO/Fox F100X, Magura Marta SL's. I'm 73kg that's about 160lbs I think. I ride rough singletrack, some small jumps/drop offs but nothing that isn't just hoping logs, riding down the occasional set of stairs or such. I have been riding for a long time and consider myself a "light" rider - that is I pick my path rather than just hammer through.

I'd appreciate feedback and help (DT's and Wheelsmiths sites have very limited information about intended use for their spokes) - particulary about using revolutions for Discs as they have served me well on rim brake wheels for years.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
I am using Wheelsmith XE14...

on my 819 with DT 240 hubs and Marta SL's and they are fanstastic. Wheels were buikt by Mike Garcia @ odds and endos and these wheels are light for a UST wheelset and ride amazingly!

No flex over rooty terrain or small little jumps. I weight about 168lbs now with gear and using them on a hardtail.

these are bladed spokes and just a tad heavier than CX-rays or Aerolites but just as strong according to Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't think you would want to use Revolution spokes all the way around the wheelset. Front disc brakes forces actually put more stress on modern wheels than rear wheel drive forces, think about how quickly you stop compared to how quickly you accelerate. A lot of wheel builders say that Revolutions have no place on a disc wheelset. However, for the bike it is going on and your intended use you would probably be okay using DT DB 2.0-1.8-2.0 Competitions on the rear driveside and the front disc brake side and DT DB 2.0-1.5-2.0 Revolutions on the non-drive side and the front non-disc side. This is due to the fact that these two locations are lower tension and lower stress locations. The disc brake forces on the rear wheel are substantially less than those on the front wheel. Use spokes with 2.0 heads and threaded ends if you want a longer lasting more durable wheel.

I am sure some of the more experience wheel builders will chime in on this one.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Revos are a no-go for disc wheels. They are a bit too elastic to make a stiff durable wheel.

Sapim CX-Ray and DT AeroLite spokes are the same weight as the Revos but they have been forged into a blade shape allowing them to build into very solid wheels for disc use. I have been using them for more than 3 years with no issues. They are about twice the cost.

DT SuperComps are between the CX-Ray and Comp in terms of weight and are designed for disc use.

The locking nipples (or any other thread locker) are not needed if the wheel is properly built.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
shiggy said:
Sapim CX-Ray and DT AeroLite spokes are the same weight as the Revos but they have been forged into a blade shape allowing them to build into very solid wheels for disc use. I have been using them for more than 3 years with no issues. They are about twice the cost.

DT SuperComps are between the CX-Ray and Comp in terms of weight and are designed for disc use.
Hey Shiggy,

Would you use Sapim CX-Ray/DT Aerolite/DT Supercomps all the way around or would you use mixed spokes?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
GearHead said:
Hey Shiggy,

Would you use Sapim CX-Ray/DT Aerolite/DT Supercomps all the way around or would you use mixed spokes?
All round. Love the CX-Ray. If it was not for the cost I would use nothing else. Check the review section for my write up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I'll do

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to forget Revolutions for these wheels and run with either DT Aerolite, Sapim CX-Ray or Wheelsmith XE14. I can see how the flat middle section would suit disks yet still be light. Which one of these I choose will hinge on my builders preference and availability (I'm in Australia). That said the Wheelsmith come in silver - this is my preference so I'll ask for these.

FYI - I am currently riding the new Velocity Zivino rims - built with Dt comp spokes/brass nipples and with heavy Larsen TT UST tires (and Stans) and heavy Velocity hubs. These wheels feel heavy and slow - but the Velocity Tubless rims are awesome. Loose fitting compared to Mavic UST rims (like a standard rim) but the tubless system works great and the rim is not to bad on weight.

The new wheels will be dressed by the new Maxxis CrossMark tires. They look promising for our dry/loose conditions down here.

Thanks for your help.

CA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.