Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I finally got that out of my system. I had meant to add in Burning Bear and the Southern Section of South Park Trail #600 but I had to be home by 1pm and between route finding and hike a biking the 22 miles I rode, which felt like more, took a little over 5 hours.

Looking toward Guanella Pass from the Burning Bear Trailhead..

One of the old Geneva Basin ski Trails

Duck Lake

Guanella Pass

South Park Trail #600 looking back towards Guanella Pass

Flowers at 12,000 ft

Lower Square Top Lake

Snowline right at the trail 12,250 ft above sea level

From one Cairn to the next

hiking across snow fields, this picture is looking back the way I came...I'm the first hiker or rider across this year.

I'm sure the trail goes this way

Mid morning snack just above treeline

South Park Trail gettin alot of use

crossing Geneva Creek

Kirby Gulch

back to route finding

South Park Trail near Bruno Gulch

Bruno Gulch

Came across some hikers on Bruno Gulch.
Fellow said are we gettin close to Square Top Lakes.
I asked, your kidding?
No, the lakes not close by.
Um, well they're about 9 miles north across some rough terrain that requires route finding. Let me show you on the map.
As I'm showing him the Lakes and the best route for him to get close to them, via car on the map...the hiker says, Man I need to get me one of those maps, I thought we were close.

I think I saved these two a long night in the woods.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, they'll be flocking to it and most of em turned off by the 7 mile paved road climb, About 4 miles of combined hike a biking, and the route finding. Did we mention some of this ride, I'm told, is in a local mountain biking guide book and on singletracks.com. Guess all the horses won't deter em either. Come on bro, that tired hand is played :cool:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
inquiring minds want to know

so did ya ride across it??!

·
ride
5,274 Posts
man, I've been eyeballing that route on a map for a while now, thanks for the pics. Watch out Skared, I'm going to wear that baby out ;)

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
ignazjr said:
man, I've been eyeballing that route on a map for a while now, thanks for the pics. Watch out Skared, I'm going to wear that baby out ;)
It could actually use some use... last time I rode it we lost the trail a few times. :D

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Sweet, thanks MGE. I was checking out your route - did you bust it out on the road after Bruno Gulch?

We're going to be doing a couple of big rides on Saturdays if you want to cruise up. Thinking of a tour de Jamestown next Sat. You'd like it.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ignazjr said:
Sweet, thanks MGE. I was checking out your route - did you bust it out on the road after Bruno Gulch?

We're going to be doing a couple of big rides on Saturdays if you want to cruise up. Thinking of a tour de Jamestown next Sat. You'd like it.
I did. My wife had plans at 1pm so I had to leave the area by noon. Got plans with some buddies in Breckenridge next weekend. We'll hook up soon.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,765 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
Don't worry Shitty, that ride requires more effort than your average front ranger is willing to put forth.

Bringing your shovel?
Thought about bringin the beacon along too just in case!:D

·
Rigid in Evergreen
1,538 Posts
Were the hike-a-bikes due to snow or lack of rideable trail? And is there a better map for this area than the NatGeo TI #104 map? It looks like you could incorporate South Park tr, Sawmill gulch rd., Hall Valley rd. and Burning Bear trails into a loop, albeit with a pretty big hump back up Guanella Pass road.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts